Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 2...Bar Harbor, Maine

Our first port was at Bar harbor, Maine. Apparently there are islands off the coast of Maine. Who knew?! It was and adorable little town. It felt a little like McCall, only cooler because it was by the ocean. And for some reason oceans are cooler than lakes...perhaps I feel this way because I live by lakes and not the ocean?



Notice my fancy bun....unfortunately this is how my hair looked much of the week.




I loved the side of this building that was covered in license plates.


After a walk around the main part of town we got on a bus and did some sight seeing from there. We went to the top of a "mountain" (I say "mountain" because I feel that term is used a little loosely in the east) where we were supposed to be able to see the entire island, but as luck would have it, it was foggy. Then we visited this lobster fisherman. He had a little set up that you would expect to see on an elementary field trip, but I was fascinated by it all. Maybe because I knew nothing of lobster fishing before this moment. I liked learning about the different fisherman's buoys and how lobster that are too small or too large or are mothers all have to be thrown back. Mothers receive a nick in their tail and are safe for the rest of their lives. Interesting....


We also drove to an outlook ( I forgot the name of it) but the scenery was beautiful.


I would love to go back to bar Harbor and spend a week. I'm sure it would be amazing to send some time in the town and explore the area a little more.


3 comments:

shellydinger said...

Jess, I'm loving this day by day! (take that as encouragment to keep going) If I were to ever go on a cruise it would be the one you went on. I love New England.

shellydinger said...

(It was late over here and I read "my fancy bun" as "my fancy BUM" and was checking out your backside trying to figure out why it was fancy. oops.)

Sheri said...

I've been to Bar Harbor, too - with Sara! Loved it and yes, you should go back and hike acadia, it's amazing. Looks like such a fun trip and great pictures!!!