Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Football

Owen has been playing football this fall with a couple of his friends.  The season has been very telling about Owen.  While Owen seems to have endless energy he has informed us that he does not like to sweat or run...although I caught a few pictures of him running. 
 
John was actually on of the assistant coaches.  I think he and Owen were less than excited about practices and games once the season started.  Unfortunately Owen does not have a natural competitive spirit. And while I think that at the age of 7 kids should be able to play a sport for fun and not to learn killer instincts, other people in our community do not.  I think men here really do put their kids in sports (football especially) in hopes that they will one day be professional athletes.  Or at least college athletes.  Go Broncos?  And unfortunately this has taken a lot of the fun out of kids sports.  The football teams are already stacked and recruited...at the age of 7!!!!
 
With that being said, I think Owen had fun with his friends but didn't enjoy the 3 hours of practices a week and the long games on Saturdays.  Lucky for us we are leaving for Disneyland before the season ends.  So no more practices and games for us!
 
Maybe we'll try another sport one day for Owen. I'm thinking and individual sport,not a team sport, is what he needs.


4 comments:

alene said...

He looks so grown up in the pictures.

EJ said...

Kids sports are so fun and super crazy. I'm planning to put Ash in tennis in a year or two. I wouldn't be disappointed if my boys aren't into playing football.

Kohl said...

At least it's flag football. We do tackle football here starting at age 8. :( If you don't play starting then don't plan on being on the high school team. Golf is a great individual sport. :)

shellydinger said...

I assumed it was tackle football! I'm shocked that parents get so weird about flag football. and I love the question mark after "Go Broncos" you are hilarious.