Friday, August 15, 2008

Headache

My SIL Shelly recently made a comment in a post that she thought her sinus headache might actually be a mother-0f-2 headache. This really struck a chord with me because I have been dealing with the same thing...for the past 2 years. And after realizing that I have been dealing with this headache for the past 2 years, I decided that I needed to make mention of it on my blog.

I've always gotten headaches. They are nothing new to me. But after Owen was born I got horrible headaches, and it was more common for me to be in pain than to be headache free. At the time I blamed it on my sleep deprivation. I was sure that the moment I got a good night sleep the headaches would go away. Long story short. They didn't. I still get headaches often. I would say almost daily.

Owen hasn't been effected by my headache crankiness, but unfortunately Ains has. Every afternoon when Owen goes down for a nap, I usually have a headache. And often times it's bad enough that I know the only thing that will get rid of it is a nap. So it has become daily routine that Ains (bless her self-entertaining heart) plays for a good chunk of Owen's nap while I rest and try desperately to get rid of my headache so that I can make it through the rest of the day.

Yesterday when we were in Twin Falls Ains was asking questions about Tarzan, I couldn't remember the part of the movie she was talking about and told her that I would have to watch the movie again with her sometime to refresh my memory. To this Ains replied, "But you always have a headache." She didn't say it in a whining or complaining tone, just matter of fact. It made me really sad. And now I'm more determined to try to figure out a solution to my current health condition.

I've noticed several things that cause my headaches, the sun (particularly driving in the sun), lack of sleep, and unfortunately, too much computer. The computer problem I can take care of, the other 2, not so much. I have had days where I have taken 12+ Advil and still can't seem to get any relief. So....any suggestions. I'm ready to be rid of this annoyance for good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, here are my ideas:

*Try different medicines, maybe a different kind would work better.

*Do you clench your jaw at night? When I am really stressed out I always clench my jaw and then I end up with a big 'ol headache.

*Maybe you should see a doctor and see what they think.

Good luck! That is no fun!

**KT

The Marshall Family said...

I would see a doctor too. Mike gets migraines, so he has to take a preventative medicine everyday...so maybe there would be something to help you.

Kohl said...

I never had headaches until I had kids. It must be a hormonal thing. Caffine seems to be a great help. You could try excedrin with caffine. That has worked for me, but there are also alot of Rx meds for migraines that a dr. could prescribe.

Colleen said...

i would for sure see a doctor. i suffer from migraines. when it seemed like i didn't have a migraine i would have what i considered a normal headache. anyway after a long search to figure out what was causing them and what would help, i turned out that i had a hole in my heart. they thought that is was a pfo but ended up being an asd. anyways i had surgery and fixed it and for the most part have been headache free. if you want more info let me know. headaches and migraine are the worst. i feel for you.

Val said...

All I know is migraines are WAY different than headaches. I think migrained medicine is way over-prescribed. If you don't have vision/hearing problems and parts of your body aren't going numb during your headache, then it's probably not a migraine. I know if you take too much pain reliever that can cause rebound headaches. I would also stay away from caffeine because if you ever want to stop drinking it, then you'll get a HUGE headache. I personally think rest is best--and drink lots of water.

Elizabeth said...

i don't have any advice, just lots of sympathy....

Sheri said...

OK, at one point of my life I worked for a chiropractor, and the ONLY good thing about the job was I got free adjustments. I was always getting headaches, like 4+ times a week and after just a few weeks of being "cracked" I started noticing how I wasn't getting them anymore. I still don't get headaches like I used to and I do think the back quack helped.