Friday, August 29, 2008

A new hobby

My oldest has picked up a new hobby. For lack of a better name, I will call the hobby...paper. Yes, just paper. Every day she makes new things, writes new stories, glues, cuts, and manipulates a variety of paper products.

While I'm happy that Ains is so creative, I must admit that I'm getting tired of the 'paper hobby'. One significant problem with paper toys is that they just don't last. Especially in the presence of a 2 year old. I'm tired of resolving paper related sibling issues. I'm tired of MILLIONS of little scraps of paper. I'm tired of jagged, torn pieces of paper covering every surface of my daughter's room posing as decoration. But mostly I'm tired of hearing sobs when a paper product is torn. The other day Ains and I had a discussion (okay, it was more of a fight) about the never ending piles of paper and scraps, it was quite heated and ended with me banning paper (not a proud mommy moment).

The picture above is a picture of a few of Ainsley's creations that are very special and not allowed to be thrown away. Seriously, I would say this is maybe a fourth of the "important" documents we currently have. Some of her creations do make me laugh though. She made a purse with a baggie and some paper, a fire hat with paper and a water bottle lid (I'm still not sure what the significance of the lid is), and she has illustrated some great stories. My favorite story involves Joseph Smith, a rainbow slide, and a call to Jesus. (I would scan it for you all to read, but my scanner is having issues.)

So for the time being I guess I will just have to accept my daughter's hobby, and appreciate the quirkiness of her inventions, until I go crazy and then I'll have to convince her that throwing some of the paper away won't be that bad.

5 comments:

The Marshall Family said...

I love this line... "I'm tired of resolving paper related sibling issues"

Anonymous said...

I can SO FEEL your PAIN! I go through the same thing on a daily, no minutely (is that a word?) basis!

I have become an expert at making paper "things" dissappear when no one is looking and then, if they get remembered, claiming, "Hmmm, I don't know where that is." Is that bad?? It is NECESSARY for my own sanity, I tell you!

**KT

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ains is going to be a great writer and make millions with which to support her aging parents. Be patient. I really believe that letting kids do all that creative stuff (especially writing, etc.) makes them much better readers and writers when they go to school.

SD and EJ said...

Little kids really do have a thing with paper. When Quinn was here a couple months ago, she and Mickey had an art show. There was paper everywhere.

Aimee said...

ARGH! Tyson does the same thing. He will want to save all these little pieces that he cuts with his scissors and later that day when he is busy doing something else, I throw them away....is that bad of me? I can't help it because if I don't then I would go crazy! And he never notices anyways...PHEW!!!