Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Newly Employed

It's official. I have reentered the work force. A while ago we decided that our family could use some additional income. I spent some time figuring out my options and decided to pursue every one. I looked into tutoring (I'm still planning on trying to tutor, but I think it might be a few months before I can get that all worked out). I talked to friends and people in my ward and got a few good recommendations. On a bit of a whim I decided to pick up a few applications from the strip mall across the street from us, a job across the street couldn't be that bad right? I went into Bath and Body Works first, asked for an application, and the manager told me she was doing a group interview in 15 minutes and asked if I could have the application filled out by then. I filled out the application, had and interview, and now, 2 days later, I have a job. Not a great paying job by any means, but one that I think will be good for me. It was almost like an answer to my prayers that everything worked out so smoothly.

I'm thinking that if I can get this tutoring thing under way in the next few months, I can continue both jobs and earn a decent chunk of moolah. I know I can make a lot more money tutoring, but I'm kind of excited to have a job that gets me out of the house for a few hours a week, where I get to do mindless work, and meet new people. I was impressed with the people working at Bath and Body works from the time I walked in. They were friendly, really laid back, and everyone that I talked to seemed to be really happy with their job. The schedule should be okay too. I will be working random night shifts (7:00-10:00) and some Saturdays. My time spent working will be sporadic at first, but as we get into the holidays and the new year, I can work as many hours as I want. So, now I guess I'm a working mother. And hopefully my attempts at other forms of money making will go just as smoothly!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the company was able to hire extra people because I spend so much money there!!
Will John be able to watch the kids?

SD and EJ said...

My mom LOVES that store! She will be totally jealous if you get a discount.

shellydinger said...

Yay for you! I would love to have some fun job for a few hours a week - it's especially nice if some of the paycheck is for guilt-free spending :)

The Marshall Family said...

That happened fast! Sounds fun. Any discounts you can pass on to a friend??? :)

Elizabeth said...

Good for you!! I really hope the tutoring thing works out, because if you're like me, you would spend your entire B&BW paycheck at their store... Enjoy your new role, working mother!

Colleen said...

congrats! that's great. i just love that store.

Dinger said...

Dan and I have toyed with the idea as well, but I have never gotten around to it. My first thought was Jess is so lucky that she doesn't have to put the kids to bed some times, I am sure the extra cash would be nice too. What kind of tutoring do you want to do?? I am really excite for you! It looks like the perfect schedule for a full time mom.

Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck Jess. I hope it all works out for you! :)

**KT

Lisa-Marie said...

Isn't it so nice when things just fall into place?!

Congratulations. Have fun!

Kohl said...

What a nice break from the kids it will be a few hours a day. Glad it was so smooth to get the job. Everything happens (smoothly or not) for a reason! :)

Heather I. said...

Welcome back to the work force! If you haven't already, try the C.O. Bigelow lip shine; you'll love it.

Sheri said...

What a fun place to work. I've liked working, even the very few hours a week I'm actually on the clock. It makes me happy to have something that I do just for me.