Friday, August 8, 2008

8-8-08

Today was 8-8-08 (in case you hadn't noticed) and the beginning of the summer Olympics. So, what did we do to celebrate? We decided to have a party commemorating Owen's birth. And just in case you were wondering what we did to make this day special, I'll tell you.

Owen got pancakes for breakfast, although I think he liked the grapes he got with his pancakes better. (In this picture he's trying to show me that he's now 2...it's just so tricky to get two fingers up at a time!)
Ainsley really got into Owen's birthday and decided to give him a special snack this morning while I was in the shower. She served granola bars, chips, and cheese crackers. When I got out of the shower I found them both on the kitchen counter cleaning themselves off in the sink. Ains told me she wanted to do the cleaning so that it wouldn't be a disaster.
Ainsley then entertained Owen with some fun games. Her games included emptying Owen's dresser drawers and turning the drawers into little beds, and then rearranging Owen's room. His crib is usually along the other wall.
After his morning of fun and games he got to watch his favorite show, Barney, it is one of the only shows Owen will watch.
After a nap, and a trip to Zurcher's to visit Syd at work and pick up the balloons, the real party started. Owen got an awesome bike from his parents...
and some super fun toys from his grandparents. Owen loves his truck that Grandma D sent and was freaking out because it took me about 15 minutes to get it out of the package....they packaged that thing with more wires than I've ever seen on a toy in my life!
He also now has his own mister, he even managed to get soaking wet from it.
The most significant part of Owen's birthday this year was that he got to share it with his great grandma. They share a birthday but live so far apart that I never thought they would be able to celebrate their b-day's together. Well it just so happened that this year my grandma was here visiting for Michael's homecoming this Sunday, so we got to spend the day with her as well!
We even got to have 2 cakes this year. My mom made my grandma an ice cream cake and I made Owen a 'boy' cake. I think it turned out cute. And in my opinion gummy worms are surprisingly good in cool whip (in case you were wondering).

Owen liked his cake so much that he ate a few bites and then promptly dumped it on the grass and continued his playing.
He seemed to have a ton of fun and was so excited to have new toys to play with (we only buy toys for birthdays and Christmas). He also seemed to understand that the day was all about him, and so did his slightly jealous sister!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake is so cute! I may have to steal your idea. I love it!

Sounds like a fun day!

**KT

Elizabeth said...

You're an amazing cake decorator! You should go into business (or at least be satisfied that your kids get cuter cakes than all of their friends)!

Kohl said...

I can't believe Owen is already two! Times flies. The cake is so cute. What a cool thing to share his birthday with great-grandma!

Melanie said...

Happy birthday Owen! He is such a cutie!

SD and EJ said...

Happy birthday Owen! He is getting so cute and big. I'm so excited to see him in a few months!

Val said...

I can't believe he's 2! What a fun birthday he had!

Yanira said...

Happy Birhtday Owen!! Cute cake.

jessica said...

KT, you can totally steal the idea because I stole it from kraftfoods.com go there and look up survivor cake and you can get the recipe.