Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy 30th John!

Yesterday John left his 20's behind. I think he is now officially middle aged! I flopped on a lot of things for his birthday this year. I started out with great ideas and intentions for and awesome party, but instead he gets 3 mediocre nights of celebration. I was going to do a surprise party, but his birthday competed with Easter and Spring Break this year, so the not many people were here to help us celebrate. I ended up taking him to dinner on Thursday (day 1) and then we just had a family party last night (day 2).

For his family party he requested orange chicken for dinner and a black forest cake, neither of which I had made before. We ended up letting Panda Express provide the orange chicken because mine was not so good. I'm not sure it the cake was good or not, it's not my favorite cake and I don't think John would ever tell me if it wasn't good. I never even knew he liked black forest cake because he always says he hates chocolate and fruit combined. So after 7 years of marriage I learned something new.

John's main gift this year is a guys trip he's taking this spring to see the Red Sox play in Seattle. So the kids and I just got him a framed family picture and a huge cookie jar full of candy for his office. I tried to make him a collage of Red Sox pictures to hang in his office, but he said it looked too "white trash" (okay, he didn't say that but that would have been funny!) for his office and so we are going to hang it in Owen's room. We are having my family over tonight to complete his 3 days of celebrating. We are combining decorating eggs with his birthday. So, although my collage and my cooking missed the mark, and there was no huge party, hopefully he still had a great birthday! Two parties down, one to go. We love you John!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 hurts a bit, but wait til you hit 40.

Lisa-Marie said...

I think that all seems like a grand way to celebrate. You did good. I'd love to see a pic of the collage.

Lisa-Marie said...

P.S. We're next! Are you afraid to turn 30?

Me neither!!!

The Marshall Family said...

That's too bad the poster didn;t turn out. Sounds like you all had a good time!

Val said...

I had no idea John and I were practically twins! Happy birthday! Hope you guys had fun flying your kite today!

Val said...

(that was me that honked when we drove by)