Friday, March 28, 2008

Spring Break

Before this week began I was a little worried that we would struggle with boredom all week, due to no school, dance, and being in town when so many people would be gone. But, the week has flown by with hardly a minute of boredom. I spent some time this week attempting to check off some of my to-do list.

On Monday I spent most of the day cleaning out ALL of our closets. I'm proud to say that there is currently empty shelf space in each and every one of our closets. This one was cleaner but I had to shove all of the kids bathroom stuff in there yesterday (reason to follow). Today we took our bags to DI and I was glad to be rid of them. Next week...windows!

My garden is now officially going. My "garden trainer" came over a couple of weeks ago and helped me start my tomatoes. This week they started sprouting! Five of the six are now up...not too shabby. Now I just have to get the ground ready for them.
I started accumulating a new summer wardrobe for the kids. I hate to admit it but I used to be sort of a snob when it came to used clothing. Let's just say that the DI and I had a very one sided friendship. I was more than happy not to drop off...not so happy to shop. I'm proud to announce that over the past year or so I have become a total used shopping convert. I now shop at DI, Other Mothers, and Kid to Kid. While I'm very picky (I only buy higher end brands), I do find some great deals. After trading in a few items of clothing at Other Mothers and finding a couple of great deals at DI today, I bought all of these summer clothes for the kids for $18. Not bad for 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of shoes, and 7 shirts. (Side note........is it completely crazy that Owen's shorts are longer then Ainsley's????)
I also repainted the kids bathroom. Okay, so technically I only painted the ceiling yesterday and I still have to paint the walls tonight. But the ladder is still in there so I'm checking it off because I know it will get done for sure. I had to get the bathroom painted so that I could get my new linoleum. I wasn't going to put in new flooring and then paint! So now that that's done, I can make John go shopping with me so that we can hopefully get new floors put in soon!
The kids kept busy this week too. We had lots of play dates which made Ainsley very happy. We got to go to a "postponed" St. Patrick's Day party on Monday. The party was postponed due to illness, it was a lot of fun though. There was great food, games and prizes for the kids, and even a pinata! You just can't go wrong with a pinata. Ains got so into it that we were all fearing for our lives when the bat was in her hands. I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera to get a shot of the look of destruction that was in her eyes.

We also got together with some of my friends from high school and Ains got to play with a couple of her friends from the ward. Here she is playing with her friend Nathan, we got to have him come over and play while his parents moved....we're so happy that they're moving closer to us!
So, even though we had a spring break with crummy (I'm pretty sure crummy is a word in case you were wondering) weather, we had a very busy, very fun week! And on top of all of that, I even got my hair dyed...still dark brown...not sure it will ever go the color I want!

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

I hear you about used clothing stores - when picky you can find some really great stuff, for your kids. It sounds like you were incredibly productive for having Ainsley there all week. I thought it would have been the opposite. Way to go!

Kohl said...

You certainly are ambitious with your cleaning and painting. I really need to clean out our closets too. It is amazing how cluttered they can get in just six months. Great buys on clothes. I've just started buying clothes at the end of the season for the next year. I usually find some great deals!

Dinger said...

I am hoping to get my garden going for my first time ever. Please share any tips with me because I have no green thumb!!