Saturday, March 8, 2008

Yes, I'm Alive

You might think that I died due to my lack of an update; but really I've just been trying to finish New Moon, our internet has been out, and I've been super slow and in a good deal of pain. So my first surgery/procedure is over and done with....now I'm just waiting to feel better. The whole procedure only took a couple of hours. They did work up my entire right leg (hence the ultimate wrapping job) and on one spot on my left. Surprisingly enough though, it has been my left leg that is absolutely KILLING me! The vein they treated must have been down deep because I have a bruise the size of my fist on that leg and I can't walk on it. It was kind of fun looking like the Michelin Tire Man for a day though! As the day went on and my leg got more swollen I developed all sorts of bulges fighting against my wrappings. (I wish the pictures did my swelling justice, my unwrapped leg is a good inch wider than my wrapped leg and you can see some of the bulges in this picture.)
I went to my ultra sound yesterday (everything looks fine) and the technician informed me that my legs are very angry at me right now. She said that all of my veins are stretching to carry the extra load that my massive bad vein used to carry. So all of my nerves are moving and tender, my veins are tender, and everything attached to the closed vein is moving and also tender. I wish they would have told me this in the first place! This is the most painful step in the vein removal process and it really stinks because there are no visible results. I still have big bulgy veins (those get removed next) and my legs are SUPER swollen. I was told to get moving though. So, I've been hobbling around and this morning I went and worked out on an elliptical machine. I really hoping that I'm back to normal in a few days. I'm also glad that my surgery could bring so much joy to the kids. Who knew that ace bandages could be so much fun? Despite the look on Owen's face, he really did like to be all wrapped up!

8 comments:

SD and EJ said...

That sounds so painful! I'm so sorry. Hopefully it will be worth it, though.

The Marshall Family said...

Ohhhhh, I feel so bad for you. My legs started to hurt just reading about it. I hope when it is all over you will be so happy!

Val said...

I thought you were hobbling around really well when I saw you on Thursday! It sounds so painful! I'm about to finish New Moon, too. Can't put the darn book down!

Anonymous said...

I'd to hear you didn't die -- I was wondering... Sorry things are so painful, but at least you have great books to read!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I meant to say "I'm glad to hear you didn't die" - not what actually showed up. I guess my fingers are too fast for my brain...

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh Jess. I've been M.I.A. for a while in the blogging world and I feel awful that you've been in so much pain and I didn't read about it until now. I'm sorry. :( Sheesh- it's been about 10 days since you wrote this post. I hope it's a little better by now.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh Jess. I've been M.I.A. for a while in the blogging world and I feel awful that you've been in so much pain and I didn't read about it until now. I'm sorry. :( Sheesh- it's been about 10 days since you wrote this post. I hope it's a little better by now.

Lisa-Marie said...

I've been MIA too and I'm really sorry to hear that you're not feeling the best. I'm sorry. Hope it's feeling better by now. Hang in there!