Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Content

I often don't have a feeling of contentment when my life is concerned. I'm usually focused on whatever it is that happens to be coming next.
But for some reason this week I have finally felt content.
John and I sometimes get hung up on the fact that we just might have to retire in our 1300 sq ft house because it seems that there will never be enough raises or a big enough turn in the economy to get us out of this one. Soon after we moved into this house my focus was fixing it up in a manner that would promote resale.
But this week I felt content.
I was sitting in church on Sunday and for no apparent reason (my mind was completely wandering, I have no idea what the lesson was about) I had the realization that I really do have so much. I might not have the biggest and the best, but I have all that I need. I have a healthy family, a nice home, I live in a great community near family, and we have made some great friends here.
I felt perfectly content.
And then again today I had a moment where I thought, "Ahh, I made it." I realized that I finally have all that I dreamt of for so many years. I was sitting at the table trying my hand at sewing, (that's another post) the kids were playing happily, the back door was opened and I could hear a neighbor's lawn mower humming, and I could see little green leaves poking out of our garden. For so many years I yearned to be at this point of my life. Settled, raising a family, done with school, in a home with a yard I could do what I wanted with. I can't believe I've been to this point now for 2 1/2 years and this week was the first week that I truly felt content. Maybe I've settled because I realize that I will be here for a while, but no matter the reason...
It sure does feel nice to be content.

5 comments:

SD and EJ said...

I would love a 1300 square foot house! Mostly because then I could get a dog. And I totally want to know what you were sewing. And I'm glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you!

Awesome.

**KT

Ashlee said...

Great post. Isn't it funny how so many times in life we get caught up in what we want, want, want, and we don't realize all that we really have? Contentment is a great feeling. Hopefully it lasts a long time. ;)

Dancing Queen said...

What a great feeling. Happy days.

Natalie Ball said...

I love content. It's nice to feel settled and at peace. That's what makes the thirties feel so much better than the twenties. Now I wish my husband felt content with his career!