Friday, May 8, 2009

Found it!

I have been looking for the perfect fresh salsa for a while now...and I finally found one that was pretty close. I say pretty close because there is always the chance that in a few years I might be introduced to a new and wonderful salsa. But this salsa is the one that will be gracing our home for now. It is AWESOME!!! I've tried salsa with mangoes, avocados, etc. But this one takes the cake. I used to rely on my recipe that used avocados, but it had to be eaten that day. I needed a recipe that could sit in the fridge for a few days. (I know you have all been deeply concerned with my salsa recipe conundrums...now you will be able to sleep at night!) So, enough rambling on my part, here's the recipe, which I already have memorized BTW, it's very exact.

Chop up 5 Roma tomatoes and 5 tomatillos. I think its the tomatillos that drew me to this recipe. I knew there was something different in there I liked. The tomaillos give it a little kick without making it too spicy. Plus I've learned they're pretty cheap, I should have been cooking with them for years. I think I might have had a slight aversion to them because I used to have to peal the papery leaves off of them when I worked at Senor Fresh in high school. They are sticky underneath the leaves and I would peal them for so long that my fingers would be sticky for what seemed like days.
Then chop up 1/2 a bunch of green onions. And chop up a few cloves of garlic. You want a spoonful of garlic (or less, add to your liking).
Throw in a handful of cilantro leaves and a teaspoon or less of salt and you're ready to mix.
Place in a food processor and mix until you have little chunks.

It will look like this when you are done. Then squeeze in the juice from half a lime.
Give it a taste and see if you need to add anything. Really exact recipe huh? It's the one I was given. You can play around with it a little to get it how you like it. I think it tastes even better the next day when the flavors have had time to mix.
It's delicious. Seriously try it! I swear...buying the ingredients for this big bowl full of salsa is cheaper than most salsas you can buy, and it tastes like something you would get at a restaurant!

2 comments:

SD and EJ said...

That sounds SO delish! I think I will try it this weekend. And I love that salsa recipe of yours with the avocados. Yum. But I'm going to trust you that this one is even better!

Val said...

That looks so good!!! Now I'm really hungry. Thanks a lot, Jess.