Sunday, May 16, 2010

My NEW most truamatizing moment of my life....

This past week, as Owen, Emmie, and I were on our way to Emmie's 6 month check-up I had another terrifying moment with Emmie. And because of that, I will now forever be fearful for Emmie's life.

So here's the story....

While were driving (getting on the freeway to be exact) I noticed that things didn't sound right in the back seat. Emmie was flailing around and making choking sounds. I asked Owen what was wrong and he said Emmie had thrown up. I started panicking and simultaneously swiping her mouth and pulling to the side of the road. I had the car in park before we had stopped. I was desperately trying to get back to Emmie, because it was very apparent to me at this point that she was choking, and not getting any air. I couldn't feel anything in her mouth. I couldn't get out of my door because cars were flying by at 50 mph. I got between the two front seats and was trying to get her unbuckled when Owen reached in her mouth and pulled out a water bottle lid. Way to go Owen! I don't know how I didn't feel it in her mouth. I'm thinking that I bumped it one of the times I swiped her mouth and then Owen could see it to grab it out.

She started coughing and crying and I got her out of her seat. Then I started crying and asked Owen why he had given her the lid to his water bottle. His reply was that she had dropped all of her toys and so he gave her that to hold on to. Poor kid. His intentions were good. And I think Owen was a little scared too. He was sitting in his carseat with his hands over his ears (he does that when he knows he in trouble and going to get yelled at). But I think he and I were both too scared for him to be in too much trouble. So, after a long discussion about objects that can and can't go in Emmie's mouth, we finally made our way to the doctors office where we got to share our story. I really like my doctor because she is so laid back. Her response was just to say that Emmie looked fine and that things like that happen while raising kids and then recounted a couple of stories from when her children had either choked or nearly choked.

I just can't wait until Emmie is no longer in her infant carrier and is in a front facing car seat, because those seem a lot safer choking wise. And then I can see her face and know if something is wrong, instead of her being completely hidden from me.

And here's why I'm grateful...
I had tried to call a friend who was in the middle of a move on our way there just to check in and see how things were going. I'm so grateful that she didn't answer the phone so that I was more alert and aware of what was going on in the back seat.

I'm also grateful that Heavenly Father has been aware of and a protector of my children. I know that it's due to divine intervention that my children are all alive and well.

5 comments:

EJ said...

Stories like this make me so sad. Owen may have been the one that almost killed her, but he was also the one that saved her life. So he should get points for that, right? Hopefully it scared him enough that he'll be more careful from now on.

Once when Ash was really little, I was driving and I heard her choking. So I pulled over and I had to pull this little flower clip out of her throat. It was so scary. I never put a clip in her hair while we were driving again.

Anonymous said...

That is horrifying! So glad it turned out ok!

**KT

Alene said...

I really believe that Heavenly Father looks out for little kids because they do so many life-threatening things (like climbing, putting things in their mouths, going where they shouldn't, etc.) that it's a wonder any of them grow up. I can think of numerous times my kids should have been dead.

Elizabeth said...

Choking is one of my worst fears! I'm so sorry you had to deal with it. My sis gave me a mirror to hang on the headrest of the backseat so that I can see Davis when I look in my rear view mirror. It has been awesome and relieved a lot of worry!!!

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Seriously my heart is racing just reading this. I can not imagine how you must have felt. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Way to go to Owen. Seriously that was really "big" of him to know to grab the water bottle lid.

The song, "Angels Among Us," by Alabama is now rolling through my head. :)