Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Vacation....#1

Our vacations this summer won't be very large in number, or very exotic, or very far from home, or even very diverse for that matter. In fact, our vacationing is already more than half over. This is due in part to budgeting cuts :), and in part to having a baby in tow, but mostly due to having a baby in tow who has a dislike for the car !
So, I decided that our summer traveling would have to be no more than 2 hours form home (about the distance that Emmie travels well(although she traveled quite well this time, so maybe she's turning a corner)). And so far, the only place we can come up with to visit is McCall...so this weekend we went to McCall with my family for vacation #1, and later this summer we will go to McCall again with some friends for an overnight camping trip for summer vacation #2. I know, we're pretty exciting people!!!
But, as ordinary as this little get away seems, it was really relaxing and nice.
My parents were being sold a "time-share-ish" deal and were given a weekend stay in the facilities of the seller. Score! It was really nice to be the beneficiary of the free weekend without having to listen to the sales pitch. And the place was really nice. We got their Friday afternoon and were immediately impressed at how decked out this place was. Probably about 4,000 sq ft. Hot tub. Grill. Fire Pit. Four Tv's. A bedroom and bathroom for every family. And a huge bonus room with bunk beds, a flat screen, and pool table for the kids.
It was nice to be in the woods with out being "in" the woods. It smelled like camping when you walked outside. And I saw a deer walk right by the house one morning.
Plus it had an antler chandelier!!!! It doesn't get much better than that people!
The kids loved their "little" area of the house. We hardly saw them. They colored at the table. Set up toys in the little serving area. Played pool. Watched movies. Owen never wanted to leave. And when we were out and about, he just begged to go back so he could play.
Is it completely sad and nerdy that I made Owen wear water wings in the hot tub?
The men enjoying some quality relaxation time together..... with a fire glowing in the background....
Even Emmie had fun. She was a trooper considering she had to sleep in a closet! Seriously though, her little set up was great. There was a bathroom in our bedroom, so I would turn on the bathroom fan, put her to bed in her pack 'n play in our closet, and she slept like a baby!
We made a stop at the world famous ice cream alley. And my oldest child was sure to maintain her title as my messiest child.

We managed to fit in plenty of eating. I'm pretty sure I gained at least 5 pounds this weekend. I'm also pretty sure that one or more people will hate me for posting this picture of us eating breakfast.
We took in the sights of McCall, which takes about 30 minutes. Which is nice. Since we'll be doing it twice this summer : )!
And we found plenty of time to relax. John even managed to squeeze in some baseball time.


In our short 2 days we were also able to squeeze in a fire, s'more making, game playing, movie watching and lots of hanging out. It was great. I only wish it could have lasted all week. Or that my dad would have bought into the house so that we could enjoy this house more regularly. But, alas, there was a reality impatiently waiting for us to get back to it at home.

And the quote of the weekend goes to Owen who said while in the hot tub, "I love water in my pants!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm super jealous . . . that looks amazing!!

**KT

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous place! I'd listen to a time share sales pitch to stay in that place! I love your humor -- I miss hearing it frequently! And Owen's quote would have been even funnier if he had been a post-partum woman :)

shellydinger said...

I think anything over 2 hours is a 'trip' and not a 'vacation'. McCall is perfect! It sounds so laid back and wonderful. My parents bought into a point system time share thing, and we have been on the nicest "free for everyone" vacations ever since. I miss McCall.

EJ said...

That's more vacation than I'm getting this summer. I think it sounds perfect.

Dinger said...

It looks absolutely beautiful! We are doing about the same thing this summer. Maybe we need to get together more for some yummy BBQ's!

The Black Widow said...

I just had a flashback to a summer trip we took together in McCall. For some reason I remember the movie "Newsies" being heavily involved.