Monday, May 19, 2008

A random memory....

Picture this...

About 6 years ago John and I were sitting in our apartment in Salt Lake. We hadn't lived there very long and our apartment was VERY empty. I think our living room had 2 chairs and our TV in it and mot much else. In an attempt to fill some of the void of our lovely home I went to Fred Meyer and purchased a pot, a big palm type plant, and some potting soil. I went home and potted the plant. I had a record of killing innocent plants and was not going to let that happen to this one. I took great care of the plant until we realized that the plant had come with some issues.

While sitting and watching TV one night we happened to notice something dive out of the pot and into our carpet. I made John do the dirty work and he found a WORM burying itself in our carpet. The worm was able to bury itself quickly and John had a really hard time getting it out...especially since he was a little squeamish about touching the worm. We then looked in the pot and noticed that there were worms EVERYWHERE!!! I had just lovingly watered my beloved plant and had drowned the worms out of there home. There were literally at least a dozen worms in sight. At this point we thought we would drown the worms out. It seemed logical. We figured that one had escaped the pot, the rest would climb out for sure if they had to. So we set the plant outside, poured in a ton of water, and waited. I don't remember how long we waited to bring the plant back inside. But, we eventually figured that the worms had to be gone since the sightings had gone down.

We lived with the plant for a while longer until one day we noticed a trail in the carpet. That's right! I said a trail in the carpet. A little worm trail. Another worm had escaped the pot and was making it's way for the door. The thing had traveled a good 10 feet before it was discovered. GROSS!!! At this point I had given up on my lovely plant. I called Fred Meyer and explained to them that there were currently worms crawling around my carpet because of either their plant or their potting soil and that I wanted a new, worm free plant. They explained to me that worms are a good thing and there was nothing they could do for me. Apparently there are people out there that like worms crawling around their homes...I'm not one of those people.

So in our last ditch effort to destroy the worms in my house plant and save my beloved palm, we took the poor thing outside and ran water over the roots until ALL the soil was gone and then tried to replant the tree. Although we were hopeful, my plant slowly died over the next few days. I've never heard of anyone else having issues like this. I think I must have picked out the only worm infested soil/plant out there. It was a traumatic experience for us (although I'm sure the worms were a little traumatized as well), and I now stick to silk when it comes to greenery in my home. Worms are only welcome outside this house!

3 comments:

SD and EJ said...

That's hilarious! I've never heard that story before. I'm with you; fake plants are the only way to go.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word Jess! That story totally gives me the willeys! I love plants in my house, but have never had an experience quite like that! Wow, gross!

**KT

Anonymous said...

That is disgusting!!! If you took any pictures of this, I would love to see them... Liz