Monday, May 12, 2008

Stuff...Plus Mother's Day

I realized today that I haven't posted in almost a week. That so isn't like me! So, since yesterday was Mother's day, here is a post about the big event....along with a couple of other random things.

First of all, my garden. Let's just say that things are growing! Yay!!! I was so worried that we would put all the effort in and then get nothing in return. So, while we have a small garden we can now see our lettuce, peas, carrots, peppers, zucchini, and our tomato plants. My tomatoes were looking a little sickly until I talked to my 'trainer' and was informed that they should be covered 24 hours a day for the next month with those pretty white solar caps. Maybe this is common knowledge to the general population, but to me it was new information. So now my tomatoes are covered and I'm not supposed to look at them for a couple of weeks...I really hope they're alive!

I had a great Mother's day! I have to admit that I wasn't too excited for mother's day because I had been quite angry at John the day before. I won't go into details, but let's just say that the sprinklers are now fixed and the argument is over! But I really had a nice day and John was great! He and Ains made me a dinner full of The Pioneer Woman's recipes and it was AWESOME!!! They even let me help with the stuff I wanted to cook (I like to try new recipes, so this was fun). I got to be queen for a day (kind of a tradition in our house, I get mother's day completely work free and John gets father's day off). All I had to do was point at a bothersome child or a mess that needed cleaned and John took care of it! It was so nice to just sit and relax all day. John and the kids got me some great gifts this year. I got the enchanted CD, which I loved watching Ainsley dance to for nearly an hour yesterday.
John got me Stephenie Meyer's new book, that I didn't even ask for, or know about for that matter. I started it last night. Really good so far!
And John had Ainsley draw this picture of our family and then framed it so it can now sit with our other family pictures. I think it's awesome. I think John put as much work into it as Ains did. He had quite a bit of restraining to do to get her to only color and write certain things. I love how 'mom' is 'wow' and the special random letters she added above family. I also love that everyone has five gigantic toes on their gigantic feet. She's getting to be quite detailed in her drawings. She was so proud of her picture, and I loved it.
We also got to go spend time with my mom last night. We went over in the late afternoon to talk to Michael. I can't believe he will be home from his mission in less than three months! It's crazy that he has been gone that long. It's also fun to see how much he has matured since he left. Weird how that happens?!? After the phone call Syd made us strawberry shortcake and we all got to relax and hang out. I actually got to sit and have a conversation since John was taking care of the kids...nice!

To finish off our night last night, John got video of the kids new trick. Ains was having so much fun jumping off the chair that Owen just had to give it a try. I must admit that I cringed every time I watched him jump. What a daring boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so I totally wanted the new Stephenie Meyer book but didn't get it....I even told hubby he could get it for me just because, unrelated to Mothers day. But he had to go and get his Wisdom teeth pulled instead of shopping for books. The nerve.

Sounds like a fun day! :)
**KT

Colleen said...

hi jessica. this is colleen bennion. we went to school together. i found your blog and it has been so much fun seeing what you have been up to. your kids just seem to cute for words. i'm glad that you had a great mother's day. thanks for sharing your life with the rest of us.

Kohl said...

Your garden looks great! I planted my garden last Sat. and my tomatoes are dying! Maybe I should be covering mine like you did. I can't wait to read the new meyers book too.