Monday, July 7, 2008

A battle won

Lately Owen has been very opinionated about his bedtime. He feels that an appropriate time for a nearly 2 year old to go to bed is between 9:30 and 10:00. Unfortunately his parents disagree and feel that 8:00 would be a more appropriate time. It seems like we have been dealing with this issue all summer. Part of me doesn't mind it so much because I like to be free to stay out later during the summer since it doesn't cool off until after 8:00 anyways, but mostly I hate bed time because I know that it means a battle with Owen.

We have let him cry it out several times, but usually get sick of the screaming after an hour or so and 'rescue' him from his bed for a short time. We tried putting up a dark blanket over his window hoping that he would go to bed if his bedroom wasn't light. No such luck. The battles got particularly tricky when Owen learned how to take off his pj's and his diaper. Often times we would go check on him during the screaming only to find him naked and sobbing. This in turn would make me feel guilty and I would give in and let him stay up for a while longer...thus enabling the vicious circle we were in.

But on Saturday I went into the bedtime battle ready for war and the several rounds I knew were ahead.
Round 1: Owen gets put to bed and cries for an hour (Really, it was a full hour. We watched a full episode of Smallville). John goes to check on Owen and finds him naked and perched up on top of the side bar of his crib. I'm not sure how long he had been stuck like this but it made me feel sorry for him and I let him sit with me for a while. One point for Owen.

Round 2: Owen gets put back in his crib and the crying continues. He is worked up to a full rage this time. I go check on him during the screaming (I can't let him get stuck again...I'm not that mean) and find him clothed, but stuck on the side of his crib again. I make him get back in his bed. One point for mom!!!

Round 3: Owen still screaming has thrown all of his things out of his crib. In a moment of desperation I give Owen the option of sleeping in his crib or on the floor. I'm still not sure what my plan was...but I was desperate. Owen chooses the floor. I lay him on the floor and leave the room. One point for Owen.

Round 4: Owen comes to the door crying and I give him the option again. This time he chooses his bed. I lay him in his bed. One point for mom!

Round 5: The bed doesn't last for long. Soon there are more screams and I go check on him to make sure there is no trouble. Owen says (and by says I mean he points to his pillow on the ground and makes a grunting sound) that he wants to sleep on the floor. I give in and put him on the floor. One point for Owen.

Round 6: A few minutes later (I was sweatin' the "choose where you want to sleep" option at this point) Owen comes to the door and 'says' he wants to sleep in his crib. Owen is so pooped at this point that he lays right down and goes to sleep. 10 points for mom because I WON!

Let's just hope Owen will be rational at this point and realize that his mother will always win...I really hate long nights like that, and I'm not so sure I'm ready for another one anytime soon!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Another 10 points for mom because you tell the story SO WELL!! I was laughing through the whole post! Very funny!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jess! That is so crazy. I think you should seriously consider atleast duct-taping his diaper closed. (I know people who do this). Then maybe you could duct tape him in bed. (JK)

Good luck!

**KT

Colleen said...

wow, fun times for you. maybe owen just is tired of his crib and wants a big boy bed. good luck with everything