Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Fourth

What a fun Fourth we had. I'll apologize in advance for the ridiculous amount of pictures...but it's my blog, so I can bore you with as many as I want! Our morning started out with the annual breakfast at my parents house. This year there were about 30 people there. We all get to eat a great breakfast and then we all hop in the pool to cool off.

Here are the kids at their little tables enjoying their breakfast.

Ainsley doing some smooth moves in the pool.
Here is a lovely shot of Ains and me. I was trying to stay nice and dry on the side of the pool in an attempt to avoid showering later in the day. However...my attempt was pointless since a certain husband of mine insisted on spraying me with water guns and dunking me in the water, and a certain daughter of mine insisted on jumping in the pool right next to me repeatedly. So while I did get cooled off, I looked a little ragged the rest of the day.
After spending the afternoon home and letting the kids have a rest, we headed down town to the park to watch the fireworks there. We had time to kill so we played cards...

Played catch
and did some sparkler with the kids. (The pictures are blurry because we took them using the night setting, so sorry, but again, my blog :)
Ains loved the sparklers, and Owen loved them until one sparked him a little.
But after some coaxing he was right back in the game and crying when they were all gone.
This year they passed out 3-D glasses for the fire works show. The glasses did put a new twist on the fireworks and made them look cool and magnified, but I think I still preferred watching them with just my own eyes. The kids liked wearing them though.
Here is one of many shots of Owen crying. We gave him a nice long nap in the afternoon but for some reason he was just plain grumpy from about 7:00 on. Which is weird because lately he refuses to go to bed until around 10:00 anyways. So I really was a bit surprised when he spent so much of the night crying and throwing tantrums. My favorite grumpy moment was when Owen was dead set on eating a sucker and was so angry with my dad for offering him carmel popcorn that he hit my dad on the leg with all of his might. Not that I condone what he did, but it was just so unexpected (he hits a ton, but usually only immediate family) that I couldn't help but laugh.

The fireworks were great and even Owen was amazed at the beauty of the show. The kids didn't get into bed until after 11:30, but I guess that's what the fourth is all about. We are, however, spending time resting up today!

6 comments:

shellydinger said...

I say the more pictures the better. They are never boring. I love the one of Owen crying, it's such a sad little face.

SD and EJ said...

Sounds fun! I'm so jealous you can go swimming whenever you want in a non-public pool.

Aimee said...

I can't believe how big Owen is! Wow!! And I am so jealous you can go swimming whenever you want FOR FREE!!! :)

Dinger said...

Thanks for letting us be a part of the festivities every July 4th morning! We look forward to it every year!! We are so glad you live close.

Kohl said...

Looks like you had as much fun as we did waiting for fireworks! :) Your pictures are great. Too bad we don't get a holiday to recover from the holidays!

Val said...

I was so sad I missed that breakfast! What a fun tradition that has been. I'm glad you had such a good 4th!