Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WE'VE GOT SWINE FLU PEOPLE!

Ainsley's fever had gotten better and then came back worse tonight. I freaked out, due to the fact that I had been told, and had read on the government website that this was something to watch for and take kids to the emergency room for. I felt like a terrible mother, like I should have noticed her 102 degree fever sooner. We ended up taking her to an after hours doctor (and the only reason they would even see her was because I was pregnant, otherwise they would have instructed us to let it run it's course, do you think the medical world could get their stories straight?????).

They swabbed her nose and the test was positive for the flu. Although they don't specifically test for swine flu, they said that over 95% of positive flu tests right now are swine flu. We were perscribed tamiflu and I was instructed to contact my doctor to see if they want me to take it as well. I just want this to work through the family so we are all healthy when the baby is born....I'm contemplating just holding the baby in until flu season is over!

(*Allow my rant for a moment...tamiflu came with the price tag of a $40 COPAY....what do people pay that have crummy or no insurance? I called my pharmacist friend and she explained the nonsensical reasons for the outrageous price. She would have compounded Ainsley's prescription had she been at work, and you can bet your buttons that I'll be calling her to get me my pills if I have to get them tomorrow! Can we say,"Corprate America taking advantage of the general public! What some people won't do to make a buck! Rant over.*)

I guess I got what I asked for, last night I was talking with some women after a meeting and made the comment that I wish we would just get the flu so we could be done with it...and sure enough...it came.

On a side note, I love the exceptions that are made for women about to give birth. I had to change my Dr. appointment this week. The receptionist told me that the week was full and that we needed to look at next week. I told her I was due on Friday. She said, "Oh, okay, when would you like to come in?" So not only did it get Ains into the doctor, it apparently has the power to free up a doctors full schedule. I'm going to start claiming 9 months pregnant when scheduling all future appointments!

4 comments:

SD and EJ said...

So, did you have to take Tamiflu? I had to and I think it made me really sick. This whole swine flu thing is crazy! I'm a little bit worried since Ash and I haven't been able to get the shot, but oh well. We didn't get it when my dad had it, so hopefully we'll be okay. I kind of think it's better if you just get it and get it over with, but not when you're pregnant or 13 months old.

Sheri said...

This should make you feel better - when Bryce got H1N1 they wouldn't even test him so we'd know for sure, but he started on Tamiflu because I'm preggo and then so did I. Our deducible hasn't been met this year - so our copay for Tamiflu was $88 EACH! Hope you're feeling better.

Dinger said...

Yikes! I hope my kids stay clear of it. It has completely whiped my dad out. Good luck. Let me know how I can help.

jessica said...

I started my Tamiflu treatments today...my friend was able to fill my perscription for me for only $30. I should consider myself lucky. Although ains has been sick, I definatly think she's had a more mild case. Thankfully!