Saturday, March 20, 2010

Family of Five


(Notice the toast)

The realities of our growing family hit me the other day while shopping at Old Navy. I went shopping to use a 30% off coupon I had and immediately hit the sale racks for some great deals. I was all excited as I was shopping. I found a few things for each of the kids, some new flip flops for the summer and even got myself flip flops and John some new summer clothes. I was proud of myself because I was getting great deals...seriously like $2 and $3 shirts. But then I started unloading my cart. And unloading, and unloading. I couldn't believe how much stuff was in my cart! $120 later we are ALMOST ready for summer. (And maybe $120 doesn't sound like much to you...but remember I am super cheap...and I had already bought Emmie some clothes elsewhere, and I had already bought swim suits. And I had hand me downs for Emmie, and had bought some stuff in advance last year. So I was expecting a lot less.) Ains still needs more sturdy shoes for school, Emmie needs a hat for the pool, etc. Poor Owen only had 2 short sleeve shirts, now he's up to 7. After all the shopping I've done I can't believe I still have more to do! I haven't had my kids try on their shorts yet. 'Cause I'm just hoping they still fit. 'Cause I don't want to buy more!

When I got home and went over my receipt I realized that even though I got great deals....I just had to buy a lot. Because I have 3 kids. A trip to the store to get us ready for summer never used to cost this much! The most expensive thing I bought was shoes for Owen for 10 bucks. We had 2 $7 items, and everything else was less than 5 bucks (like 2 or 3). I couldn't have shopped cheaper at Kid to Kid!

Not that I'm complaining...added costs are expected with more kids. It's just that I suddenly noticed it for the first time!

4 comments:

Dinger said...

We went to Old Navy today and spend a good amount. . .on Dan! We needed to update his wardrobe!!

Alene said...

Try doing it with 7 kids.

jessica said...

Alene...I can't even imagine! :o)

Dancing Queen said...

Good job anyhoo on finding great buys!! I love that!