Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Three

It seems as though 3 is my limit! I have reached my max. I no longer seem to have things under control. This is new territory for me...and I'm struggling with it seeing as how I'm a bit of a control freak.


When I had Ains, although I had no idea what I was doing, life was still pretty low stress. The hardest part of being home with her was the boredom and loneliness. I made a great friend when Ains was about 1 that lived upstairs from us and that sort of saved me. We spent our times making cards and hanging out. Life was good. I still had my struggles, but I was in control. She napped daily and I had time to myself everyday. I always seemed to have time to get the laundry done, the dishes done, and keep the house clean. I had time to read. I thought it was hard at the time...but looking back, it seems heavenly. Hind sight it 20/20.


When Owen was born I things got a little bit more hectic. But things were still manageable. He was a pretty good sleeper and a pretty good baby. I remember there being a few rough nights, but John was home to help. During the day Ains would have quiet time. I was blessed with a little girl that could entertain herself for hours. She would go in her room and become consumed in her own make believe world and Owen and I would sleep. I was tired, and things became a little more complex, but I still had it under control. I still had time to get done the things I needed/wanted to get done. You know, like showering!


Then came little Emmie....and my whole world has been turned upside down. She has no schedule because she simply has to sleep when she can, when we're not running somewhere, picking someone up, running errands, etc. She is a wonderful baby and I could sit and hold her all day, but she wants me to hold her more than Owen did. I love cuddling her as she falls asleep, but as a result of that (and my other 2) I have somehow lost control.


Owen is the opposite of Ainsley. The only thing he can entertain himself with is the wii or TV. I try to set up projects for him to do like play-doh or painting, and he's done in a few minutes. He is constantly scouring the kitchen for food, and getting food all over the floor along the way. He truly relies on Ains for entertainment. If she comes up with the game, he'll gladly play along. Because of this, I have no time to catch up on anything. I haven't picked up a book, magazine, scriptures, anything in months. My nights are spent dealing with Emmie (not in a bad way, just in a give me attention please way) while laundry is still waiting on the floor to be folded, dishes are still in the sink, etc. I HATE putting off a mess for the next day. It just makes my day start off badly and that many more steps behind.


I occasionally get the house clean...but my kids are at the perfect ages to create the perfect storm. For example, I CLEANED my house on Friday. Really cleaned. And had all the laundry done. Here I sit 4 days later with a FILTHY house and 5 loads of laundry taunting me. If only I could train them to clean a little better....hmmmmm.

Errands have become more difficult to run. I'm trying to volunteer in Ainsley's class. I'm trying to do everything, but nothing is getting done well. Dinners occasionally get made. I miss cooking and occasionally make something nice for dinner, and then the rest of the house and my children suffer. John and I are both working overtime, daily. It literally takes both of us to make it through the day. I'm pretty sure it's time to throw in the towel! I know time will solve all of these problems and soon...too soon. I know I'll miss these days. But I've come to accept the fact that I've been beat at three. I don't know how women have more children than that!

7 comments:

shellydinger said...

What?! I thought going from 2 to 3 kids was supposed to be easier than going from 1 to 2. All along I've seen your cute pictures, and smiley kids, and funny stories and thought "Wow, she makes that look/sound like a breeze!" Thanks for bursting my bubble. (oh, and hang on. So you can tell me how to overcome all of those obsticles.)

EJ said...

If it makes you feel any better, which it probably won't, my kid is a lot more like Owen than Ainsley and sometimes (like this morning), I just sit there and try not to cry thinking about how in the world I am going to take care of a super moody toddler and a newborn at the same time.

I'm sure you have a little more control than you think you do (and if you don't, you will soon). Being a mom is so hard and I think people who make it sound easy are either blessed with perfect children or are lying. :)

Anonymous said...

Jess, you know with each kid I have had to readjust my thinking. I set a goal to get one or two things done each day, instead of my old big list of productivity. Then at the end of the day, when only one thing did get done...I am happy, instead of frustrated. I just set my standards a little lower. :) And if that one thing didn't get done?? Well, I tell myself at least everyone is still alive and happy! :)

And, (un)fortunately for us stay at home moms . . . the work will all still be there for us tomorrow! So, try to just relax and enjoy your kids and this time of life.

**KT (I type this while surrounded by dishes, messes, and things that need to be done...yet I sit and nurse my cute baby!)

Brooke said...

OH sugar, bring your kids over here. I'm still at the one kid is easy and a bit boring stage and Brighton needs friends! True, she might attack Owen but they'll survive. ;)

Alene said...

Jess, relax. Your "dirty" house is far cleaner than the average clean house. And you're right. In 5 years all your kids will be in school. If that sounds like a long time, what were you doing 5 years ago? See, the last 5 years have gone by in a blurr. And to put your house in perspective, one lady Sunday was complaining about how with twins she can't get anything done and her neighbor came over and she was so embarrassed because her house was so messy. So the RS pres said, "By a show of hands. Who cares if J's house is messy." Of course no one did, and no one cares if yours is a little messy either. Just enjoy the kids and do what you can. And you don't even have to wait for 5 years. Owen will be in preschool next year.

Kohl said...

All I can say is "AMEN!" to everything you wrote. Ashlyn is almost one and I am wondering where the year went. I never feel like my house is clean. There is always laundry or dishes to be done. I just try to keep telling myself that things will get better the older the kids get. (At least that's what I hope)! :)

The Marshall Family said...

Feeling the same way with only two kids! So that means you are better than me.