Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pro Bono

Look closely in this very low quality picture for John. This is when he took his oath after passing the bar and became an official lawyer. But John's time of service started long before this day. Apparently he had been working for free for quite some time. I got a check in the mail for John today for a significant amount of money. It was from his employer in Utah. They had attached a note that said they had been waiting for his time sheets and didn't get them so they just sent him a check for the time that he said he had worked. I have to admit that the check was a nice surprise, but who does that? Who forgets to get their last pay check?

John has always had trouble turning in his time cards and actually getting paid for his work. I used to get calls from Maryann (his boss at Waterford) telling me that John had forgotten to turn in his time card and asking me to remind him. I'm just glad John works for the government now. Where he is taken care of and he doesn't have to keep track of his hours worked. Otherwise a huge portion of his career would be dedicated to pro bono work. Maybe I'm selfish...but I want the money!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Great story! What are you going to do with your surprise cash?

jessica said...

We are boring and poor and so it will just go into savings.

Anonymous said...

John was just like that when he was a kid. He'd do his homework, then not turn it in. I'd go to parent/teacher conference and wonder why he was getting such rotten grades. Then they'd show me all the blanks in their grade books.