Saturday, April 5, 2008

I said what?

Tonight as Owen was playing with his mac and cheese and reaching for the grapes I was eating I said the words, "Owen, you have to eat your noodles. No more fruit!" I might be the only mom to ever say those words...and actually mean them. This kid eats so much fruit that it is having a negative effect on his digestive system (if you know what I mean). He had already had part of a banana and some apple sauce with his dinner, but he still wanted more. He would eat a whole bag of grapes if I would let him. I think his desire for fruit has neared the point of addiction. He goes to desperate measures to get the good stuff. If he ever weasels his way into the fridge I'm guaranteed to find him snarfing down as many grapes as he can before he gets caught. Yesterday he pulled a chair up to the counter and used a knife and scissors to pry open all of the bananas I had on the counter. He managed to eat several before he got caught in the highly dangerous situation. I guess he just prefers the sweetness of fruit to the substance of food. So while my words might not have sounded like good motherly advice...they were true, and needed.

2 comments:

shellydinger said...

I'm having the exact opposite problem. Hailey will not touch fruit - even when covered in sugar or drowned in whipped cream. I'm sort of jealous of your problem. Want to trade?

The Marshall Family said...

We are the same way with mandarian oranges. Hayden could eat them all day long. One day Mike let him eat a whole big can of them...without knowing that it would not be pretty coming out! Needless to say he had a pretty bad diaper rash.