Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Something we love

I love the spring and all things that come with it. One thing in particular that I love about spring is the arrival of strawberries. Now I know that strawberries are available year round, but in the spring they are affordable and they taste amazing. I have passed my love of strawberries on to my children. Ainsley has been asking for months if strawberries are in season yet because she knows I won't buy them until they are and she loves them. In the past 3 weeks my family has consumed at least 10 pounds of strawberries! We have been through 2 of the big 4 pound packs from Costco and have picked up a few smaller packs from the store as well. When I think of a 10 pound bag of potatoes, and think that we have eaten that many strawberries in a few weeks, I'm a bit shocked.

The kids and I eat them every morning on our cereal, we eat them for snacks, we've mashed them and had them on pancakes, and last night we made the long awaited homemade strawberry milkshakes. I introduced John to the homemade strawberry milkshakes after we were married and they are now something we look forward to having at least once every spring. The first year I had to make John eat one, (yes, I had to make him eat it because he wanted a different kind...but I kindly explained that we would all be having strawberry) but now I would have to say that they might be one of his favorite treats. Right John?? I also made the beloved shakes at John's parent's house once and if I remember correctly John's mom opted out because it didn't sound very good and then ended up crying when she had a bite of one and realized the awesomeness of them but didn't have a huge shake for herself. So, if you haven't made yourself a homemade strawberry milkshake yet this spring....now's the time.

FYI: the key when making the shake is to blend the strawberries with some sugar before adding it to the ice cream. I now find myself wondering how many more pounds of strawberries we will go through in the upcoming months. Maybe I should have planted strawberries in my garden....that would have been smart!

6 comments:

Heather I. said...

Mmmm, yummy. I want a strawberry shake! How could that not sound good?

SD and EJ said...

I've already gone through three packs of the Costco strawberries by myself (EJ doesn't eat them). I love them. And I usually go for raspberry milkshakes, but I may just have to make a strawberry one. Maybe I can even get EJ to eat strawberries that way.

The Marshall Family said...

We should have strawberry shakes together! I am serious.

The Marshall Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kohl said...

I think we have you beat. I have bought about 10 (maybe more) of those 4 pounds packages of strawberries at Costco. I did make some strawberry jam (really easy). We have also had strawberry shakes, but we especially just love eating them plain.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you ever make those when we were roommates??? Liz