Monday, April 28, 2008

Look what we did!

Okay, so it might not look like much...but it is (to us). Those of you who have been in our backyard know that it had NOTHING in it. It used to have a dead stick tree but we went ahead and yanked that out. I needed to get my garden going (my tomatoes are ready to plant) so, this week was deemed garden week. I dug the sod out of our lawn during the week (check out my massive sod pile)
and then John helped me get the garden all ready and a new tree planted on Saturday. We planted a Maple tree, hopefully it will give us some shade back there sooner than later. My "garden trainer" and her family helped us out a ton too. They let us use their truck to get the humus and sand (don't ask me....I just did what I was told and now I apparently have the most amazing soil on the planet) and then they even let us use their tiller to get our ground ready. I wish I would have gotten video of John trying to use the tiller in our little 20' by 4' garden, all the while trying not to hit the sprinkler line that runs along one side. It was a challenge for him, but the soil is AWESOME now and ready for me to plant. Now I just need to get rid of my huge sod pile and I'm done!

I'm excited to do the garden this year with the kids. Ains is really excited right now. I'm just hoping she's still excited when she realizes it will be quite a while before we have any produce. But, the kids sure had fun on Saturday while we worked out side. Owen loved the dirt and figured how to get on and off the trampoline by himself, and Ains got pretty good at "derocking" the garden. I would have taken pictures if it hadn't been such and exhausting day.

5 comments:

Dinger said...

I wish I had big enough yard to do a garden like that. It looks great. Is is time to plant tomatoes outside?? I have been growing mine in cups and bring them outside on nice days. When is it safe to plant??

jessica said...

You can plant tomatoes outside now if you are willing to cover them up at night. If you don't want to do that you need to wait until after mother's day or mid may. But you can plant all of your "root" type veggies outside now.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so excited for your future plants. How loberly. I had great plans, but feel too worn out by the end of the day when I get home to work on that.

Anonymous said...

I can remember digging up the sod and preparing the dirt. Steve said it gave him a great appreciation for the pioneers who had to do acres and acres of it.

Kohl said...

I'm so jealous that you are ready to plant your garden. I hope I get to plant one in the next couple of weeks. I love gardening, it is a very destressing (gets rid of stress)thing to do!