Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bulk

I have a new love. I call it "bulk at Winco." When we first moved here I started shopping at Winco because they were the cheapest, but over time I have grown to love their LARGE bulk section. At first I just used the bulk section for Halloween candy. You can get a lot of candy for cheap. Then I started buying my almonds there because they were way cheaper. Next I was told to buy my wheat and gluten flour there for my bread because it was cheapest. Now my favorite part of my trip to the grocery store is our time spent in the bulk section. Over time my list of things to buy in the bulk section has grown. I soon added noodles, cereals, yeast, dried fruit, rice, etc...etc to my bulk list.

I soon noticed that they carried spices in bulk too. One day when I was shopping for a certain spice I found a small container of it for sale on the shelf for over $4.00. Call me cheap, but I wasn't going to buy a teeny tiny jar for $4.00. So I headed over to bulk to see if they happened to have it there. They did! So I got a baggie of it for 17 cents. Yes, just 17 cents! The spices there are so cheap. I have since gotten a bag full of bay leaves for 23 cents. Exciting...I know!

My interest turned to pure fascination when we were shopping a few weeks ago and I happened to notice a big grinder thing where you could grind your own fresh peanut butter or almond butter. And right next to the nut grinders were some wooden bins for organic honey, blackberry honey, or regular honey. On the wooden crates there was a sign that said, "Please do not remove lid, Live Bees." I couldn't believe it! There were live bees in my grocery store making me honey!!! I have been too chicken to try either of these yet because I'm not sure how the machines work, but last time I was there I spied on a lady getting peanut butter, so next time I'm going to try them for sure. (Boy, I'm sure scared of whimpy things!)

I'm amazed that it took me so long to fully appreciate my bulk section. Why wasn't I shopping there before? It pains me to think of the time and money wasted. I'm thinking and hoping that my love of bulk is rubbing off on my children. Ainsley now loves to wander through the bulk isles with me, although her favorite section is definitely the candy isle, she is starting to love discovering new things to buy in bulk with me.

12 comments:

The Marshall Family said...

I love the bulk section too!!!! I buy honey all of the time, you just pull the handle ( I think you can do it!) I have saved so much money shopping there too.

Anonymous said...

Live bees! OH MY!! And why do we not have a WINCO here?? I am feeling soooo jipped. (how do you spell that??) :)

**KT

shellydinger said...

I wish we had a Winco. Actually, I wish we had some other option than walmart at all.

Lisa-Marie said...

Kendon was so proud of himself this last week when he found pancake mix in the bulk section. We've yet to try it but how bad can it be?!?!?! I love wandering the bulk section too. So fun.

SD and EJ said...

Last night I spent $50 at the grocery store for like two bags of stuff and I almost cried. I wish we had a place like Winco here.

Colleen said...

i miss winco now that i live in utah. when i go home i plan to do trips at winco just for the bulk stuff. i'm glad that i am not the only one that gets excited about stuff like this.

Heather I. said...

My parents have a winco near them in wa; I love browsing the bulk section when I'm there! Although, I wish they bagged my groceries:) Oh, and I'm with Ainsley, the candy section is my favorite, too.

Elizabeth said...

That is soooo cool!!! I have never heard of that, but now I am jealous. If I ever make it to Boise, you'll have to show me around!

Kohl said...

I am way jealous too! I would love to be able to buy in bulk! I guess we should move to Boise. :)

Aimee said...

What I love about this post is that you took a picture of it!! I think that is hilarious!! Mainly because I would have done the same thing!! Ah, Jess I miss you!! HAHA :)

jessica said...

Not to dissappoint...but I didn't take the picture. I got it off the internet, although it's amazing how it looks exactly like my grocery store?!?

Dinger said...

Winco does Rock. Infact I was telling our in-laws just the other day how amazing the bulk section was. I am not sure they shared my enthusiasm, but they did like Winco. I don't like taking my children there because for me, shopping bulk at Winco is a rush. . .I literally get goose bumps when I realize how much money I save when I am there. I am glad to hear that other people share my enthusiasm!