Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Quality time

A while ago I started feeling like a slacker mom and decided that Ainsley needed more one on one time. Usually when Owen goes down for his afternoon nap Ainsley and I both have our separate quite, alone time. And since I wasn't ready to give up this time completely, I decided that we would just spend 20 minutes or so on a project or activity after Owen went to sleep so that she got some individual attention during the day. Some days she helps me in the garden. Some days we just read stories. And some days I fail miserably and am so ready for a break come 1:00 that we just do our own thing. For a few days we worked on her necklace. This took a while because we had to start it over twice when she changed her mind about the beads she wanted to use.
I have also been using some of this quality time to teach Ains to swim. One day a week we head over to my parents house, put Owen down for a nap, and then hop in the pool. She has to spend 20-30 minutes with me practicing swimming and then she can play and do whatever else she wants in the pool. I have been really impressed with how fast she has progressed. I was worried that she wouldn't learn from me and that I would regret not putting her in lessons. But she can already bob up and down in the water (she wouldn't even go under water last summer), float on her back for a full minute, jump off the diving board (with floaties), and swim 4-5 feet with her head under water (with out her floaties! She does sort of a doggy paddle, but I'm still impressed). Here is a picture of her in her beloved goggles. She is obsessed about not getting water in her eyes and so the goggles stay on the entire time she is in the pool.(FYI she is holding her 'collection bag' that she has been packing around for days. She was super excited about yesterdays addition to the bag....bubble wrap.)

3 comments:

Kohl said...

That is so nice that you have some time to spend with just Ainsley during the day. I can't wait for my time with Liam when Gavin goes to preschool. Good job with the swimming too. We miss our pool in our old neighborhood!

The Marshall Family said...

I love the necklace!

Arin Rohrbach said...

Slacker Moms Unite! I have been a major slacker mom this summer. I just can't seem to figure out how to balance three kids without neglecting one. Fortunately, Hyrum goes to kindergarden in the fall :) I think it's great you spend quality time with your daughter. She will remember those moments.