Thursday, June 5, 2008

Green Thumb?

The more I garden the more I like it. And the things I'm planting are actually growing...which was a bit unexpected. My biggest disappointment this year is when we got a big hail storm on Memorial day and it destroyed my Hastas. They had just opened up this year and they were looking gorgeous, now they just look plain sad. I was told I couldn't cut them back until the fall or they wouldn't come back next year. So, I guess I'm just stuck with torn up Hastas lining my walkway.

My garden, however, is doing great! My lettuce got a little worn down from the hail but it's pulling out of it. I've only killed one tomato plant and one pepper plant. Not to shabby, eh?
I even have blossoms on my pepper plants...I'm so excited!

I'm sure we'll have peas any day now. I think my pea plants look really pretty.
Ains has been a great help too. Today she helped a bit with weeding and then cut up little pieces of twine for me and wadded it up into little knots. Why? I'm not sure. But she felt that it had to be done.
Ains and I also planted some more seeds yesterday. As we were at the grocery store yesterday I got a hankerin' for some chives. I was outraged that it was $3 for a tiny little container of herbs, so we went and bought some seeds to grow our own. We planted basil, parsley, and chives along the edges of our garden and also in little cups to grow inside (just as a back-up). So one way or another, we will have an herb garden. I just need to figure out a place that I can grow them inside year round. I don't have any good windows for growing. So here's my question...do they really need direct sunlight, or will they grow on my kitchen counter that is not sunny? Anyone know? If so, please share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh..........I love to garden too! This year I am having trouble getting out there though and am basically growing a weed patch. I will get to it eventually though! I love it! Yours looks awesome!

**KT

SD and EJ said...

Fun! If I ever live in a real house with a yard, I'll know who to go to to teach me about gardening.

Aimee said...

Nice garden. We are doing our ths weekend. A little late, I know but hopefully we will get lots of veggies from it. I just wish we lived where we could grow veggies and herbs all year round!