Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I did what?!?

Last week I had a moment of temporary insanity. A salesman from a certain traveling meat company showed up on my door at a very inconvenient time. And although I was trying to get out the door, and he reeked of cigarettes, I let him in and listened to his spiel. Somehow (I'm really not sure how, but I know there was miscommunication between John and I) as I was walking out the door John was writing out a check for $350, as per my instruction, for a few boxes of meat (Okay, it might have been a bit more than a few boxes...but definitely not $350 worth). After trying to justify my decision all night I finally panicked and realized that I had just blown a huge chunk of money. Luckily for me, there was a money back guarantee, the meat is finally gone, a refund check is in the mail, and I can relax.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

i once got sucked in by a traveling salesman and bought a $40 bottle of cleaner, which is still mostly full (even though I bought it a few years ago). Let's just say, it wasn't as wonderful as the guy said...Luckily I'm not home during the day so I miss most of the salespeople (except the neighborhood kids trying to raise money for their schools...being in the Primary Presidency for a few years has really come back to bite me...Now that I'm in YW, maybe they won't remember me this school year...) :)

Anonymous said...

You guys are too nice. I pretty much GLARE at anyone that dares knock on my door....we have a no soliciting sign. Then I "politely" say no thanks and slam, oh I mean, shut the door.

Im sooo glad you got your money back!

**KT

Dinger said...

I'm amazed that you got your money back!! I always have the biggest guilt trip every time I turn people away, but if I didn't Dan and I would be broke. Hope you are still enjoying your job.

Val said...

I remember a meat guy coming to my door when I lived up there and I let him do his little presentation and then I proceded to argue with him about how the meat was NOT a good deal. He told me I was an idiot and I told him to leave. Love those guys!

Anonymous said...

I think everyone gets sucked into one or two (or more) of those kinds of deals.

Melanie said...

I hate to think of the money I've wasted getting sucked in by door-to-door salesmen! I am ashamed to admit this, but we actually own a Kirby vacuum. How pathetic is that?

jessica said...

Mel, I wouldn't feel bad about the kirby vacuum...I would love one of those!

Natalie Ball said...

Whew, that was a close one!

Aimee said...

I am glad you got your money back. In Vernal, the meat guy came to my door and was so pushy. I told him I just went to Walmart and FILLED my freezer so even if I wanted to buy some, I wouldn't have a place to put it. Guess what he said?? He actually told me he would come into my house, rearrange my freezer so that the meat would fit! I couldn't believe it! "Dude....let it go! I don't want to buy your meat!"