Monday, September 29, 2008

Reality Check

The other night I started a blog post about my current obsession with the news and our economy. My obsession was becoming unhealthy. I sincerely believe that nothing good comes from watching hours of news every day, and I was heading down that path. I wasn't all that concerned about my families well being (maybe I have a false sense of security), I was just intrigued. I was home alone on Friday night while John was on a ride-along, and after the kids went to bed, I watched news and documentaries on PBS that really fascinated me. After watching part of the debates, the commentaries, and then PBS, I was feeling pretty well informed.

After watching an interview with (???totally can't remember his name???) my opinion on our current situation was solidified. His opinion was that nothing in America will change until we, the citizens change. Our country went from being a nation of producers, a power house of the world, to being a nation of consumers, laden with debt and want. Our leaders can't change our nation until we are willing to change because we won't allow it. Our financial system can't function properly if we are demanding credit, with out being able to afford it. I must say I agree. We have become a nation of lazy consumers who would rather produce beyond our borders just to save a buck and we are now paying the price. I have to admit that I'm a little worried about what is in store for this country, but I really don't think that things will improve until we are willing to make a change. Unfortunately, I think a change of this magnitude will be a painful one. I hope I'm ready to hunker down and weather the storm.

After my night of mental stimulation, and my attempt at posting my newly learned information in a stimulating blog post, I was brought back to mommy reality. I had written the first 2 lines of my post when I realized that all was too quiet in my house of non-sleeping children. Ains was watching TV...but where was Owen. I realized too late that he had climbed to the top shelf of Ainsely's closet to retrieve the watercolor paints. You know, the 8 little circles of paint in a plastic container. He had dug out the paint, mostly black, and there must have been some spit involved, because there was black ALL OVER Ainsley's carpet.

I immediately freaked out and put my paint covered son in the tub, thinking he could do no damage in there. I began scrubbing the carpet, the paint kept spreading, and after about 30 minutes of this I called John and instructed him to rent a carpet cleaner on his way home. Meanwhile, I turned my attention to Owen who had partially disrobed in the tub, peed, and spread paint all over the tub with the paint brush I neglected to take away from him in my haste. I cleaned him up, scrubbed clothes and rugs to no avail, and took a break while waiting for John.

Enter John...We began cleaning the carpet in Ainsley's room and when I saw the amount of dirt that was in the carpet I decided that we should just go ahead and clean the whole house. So, we spent Monday night cleaning our carpets. Tuesday morning I awoke to still wet carpets that had a slight residue. Even though we used the minimum recommended amount of cleaner, there was still a filmy residue left on several areas of our carpet. So I had to redo the WHOLE HOUSE again on Tuesday morning with just water. Not. Fun. So as of now, I still have damp carpets, 36 hours after cleaning them. I learned that water color paints can stain (they didn't stain the carpet but they did stain one of my bathroom rugs and Owen's shirt). And I now know that Rug Doctors just aren't worth it...Next time I'll just call the professionals!

Then tonight (I know this is the never ending story, but I have to tie these two experiences together) I was reading a blog I frequent and I happened upon this...

"We are facing some serious stuff in our country today. Serious stuff that has even my husband, the world’s biggest optimist, freaking out. Some day, I wonder if my children will ask me what I was doing during the economic crises of 2008, when the dow dipped however hundreds of points, and we teetered on the edge of what, according to Sarah Palin, could be the next Great Depression.

I’ll tell them that I woke up, helped my son with his homework before school, took him to piano, made bread from the flour I have stored over the years, took a nap, went grocery shopping, cleaned the house, and did the laundry. Not as dramatic as needing to travel 5 miles to fetch a pail of water, or take quanine to avoid contracting malaria, but still, I am paying attention to the necessities of life.

It’s what mothers do. Even when the dow is crashing. Even when democrats and republicans play with our tax dollars and decide our country’s economic fate. A mother still has to make sure her kid has diapers. Even when the world is on fire."

I just couldn't help but think how true that was. I was totally consumed with our nation and it's politics for a time, and then my reality hit.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

It is scary huh? The more I hear, I mean really listen, to all that is going on, the more I am fascinated/scared of what could really happen to America. It really makes you think about what, as mothers, we are going to have to do to keep our chilren safe....in every aspect. Food, clothes, shelter, protection, etc.

As for the paint, I can't believe Owen did that! At least it didn't stain the carpet in Ains' room. That little stinker....he is so cute though! :)

Anonymous said...

I get that same way--consumed with the news, etc. and find i have to take a break by not allowing myself to watch the news or read the paper for a few days. And I think the only way to protect ourselves is to get at least a little food storage and pay off all our debt as fast as possible.
And I've learned the hard way that many, many washable kids products aren't.

The Marshall Family said...

That was deep. I might have to read it a second time!