Thursday, September 25, 2008

Vegetables can teach you a lot

Tonight I made a vegetarian feast in celebration of the season premier of The Office.
Okay, it was actually due to the fact that we had a ton of vegetable that needed eaten and I forgot to thaw meat. But seriously, we had a lot of veggies.

We had...(keep in mind I will be using as many descriptive words as possible to make the meal seem much more complex than it was), corn on the cob, garden fresh carrots with a touch of butter, acorn squash with brown sugar, fried zucchini, mashed red potatoes with roasted garlic and fresh basil, and corn bread muffins with honey. The interesting thing about the evening was that I learned (or maybe just remembered or realized) some things about my family. I could live a vegetarian life (during the fall). John does not consider a meal of vegetables a meal. Ainsley loves squash more than any other 4 year old on the planet...seriously, it's weird. Owen may have an aversion to corn on the cob like his Grandpa Dinger. This is very disturbing to me. Who doesn't like corn on the cob??? It's just not natural! At this point in his life Owen prefers licking butter off the corn instead of actually eating it. (By the way, although John didn't consider our vegetarian meal and actual meal, he was so full that he couldn't finish his dinner.) The best part of this meal, however, is that since a good portion of it came from my garden I think the meal cost me about $3!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

sweet! don't you just love that. i remember when i was growing up we would have simple meals like that. it would be corn on the cob, tomatoes, fresh raspberries all from the garden. perhaps whatever vegtable was ready to be picked. and if we were really lucky fresh homemade bread. yum! so tasty. plus it is so nice when the meal doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Val said...

That sounds so good! We had many vegetarian meals when we visited my mom last time! Now I'm getting hungry...

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Nice post...I love veggies and I love "The Office". :)

**KT