Thursday, January 14, 2016

Part-5 Lexington, Concord, and Salem

We were up and going early again and on our way to Lexington and Concord.  This was probably one of my favorite days.  I just loved the history and the quaintness of the towns.  We stopped by the Sleepy Hollow cemetery (not to be confused with the legendary Sleepy Hollow cemetery in New York) where Louisa May Alcott and Ralph Waldo Emmerson are burried. I just love wandering around and looking at the old tomb stones and imagining what the town was like over two centuries ago.

After wandering through the cemetery we walked through town and over to the site of the "Shot Heard Round the World."  Maybe I'm crazy but there was a really neat feeling there.  One of the park rangers talked with us and told us a lot of interesting details.  Like how the land would have looked at the time of the revolutionary war and where the British were stationed and traveling etc. I'm sure we could have spent an entire day in Concord.  Touring homes and exploring the city...but there just wasn't time.  My goal is to get back there and spend more time one day.




We spent most of our day in Concord and only a few minutes in Lexington.  The drive between those two towns was so beautiful and followed the path that the soldiers traveled during the war.

Our hotel that night was in Salem so we decided to head that way later that afternoon.  We got there just in time to go through the only original building in the town, the home of one of the judges of the witch trials...Although I can't remember his name.  Then we went through the cemetery and the memorial for those who were hung or "pressed" as a result of the trials.





To be quite honest Salem wasn't my favorite.  It felt like a bit of a tourist trap.  But we managed to have fun and enjoy ourselves nonetheless.  Honestly we laughed so hard that evening.  So much so that I nearly peed my pants.  Not that you wanted to know that, but there it is.  I'd say that the two themes of this trip were lots of history and lots of laughing.  The best kind of vacation I'd say.
Well..we laughed and my dad chatted on the phone.  He was dealing with furnace and fire issues at the store while we were gone.  Bummer deal.

That night we headed to our hotel and grabbed some Italian food for dinner.  And Kort had an allergic reaction to the walnuts that we didn't know were in my pesto.  She popped a couple of pills and slept like a baby that night.

No comments: