Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spring Planting


Today we did our first bit of planting outside. Our yard was very bare and some areas were pretty over run. I know, I know it still looks bare! We decided to start in the front yard since that is what people actually see. So we spent last Saturday and today cleaning out flower beds. Last week we took all the overrun grass and rock out of the top flower bed and just stuck it an a garbage can for garbage day...it was so heavy they wouldn't take it. Today we made an edge for the flowerbed and trimmed the front bush and planted the tiny spiky plant by the fence. I just thought it looked cool and we needed something to go there (if you squint you'll see it). We also got down some bark so it looks a lot better. The second picture is the flower bed by our front door. It was overrun and gross too, so we pulled everything out and just started from scratch. I wish I could have planted all that I wanted to today but the "experts" at Zamzow's told me I had to wait. So all I got to plant today were some perennials (a new word to my vocabulary). In the next few weeks I'll get to put in some cool flowers, get the bark down, and I'm going to put in a rhododendron or hydrangea bush as well. I'm really excited to see if the flowers and plants will live. Everything I have ever planted has died(in my defense it has always been in a pot) . I'll post pictures when the job is complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice hostas! And I love rhododendrons (or however you spell it). We'll have to come up there sometime to see your house and yard!

Melanie said...

Ahh, the joy of being a homeowner in the spring...