Saturday, November 10, 2007

Advent Calendar


I have wanted to make an advent calendar for several years, I just lacked the motivation. I had planned to make one with John's mom when we lived in Salt Lake, but I guess since I didn't have kids that were old enough to use it at the time I put it off. Well, last year my sister decided that she wanted to make one, and so she dragged me along with her, and now a year later I finally have it done. We didn't have a pattern so we just traced and measured my mom's old nativity that we used when we were little. I must admit I always like this one because of the tree and the manger scene. I was disappointed to find out that My mom hadn't made our calendar though. All these years I had envisioned my mom at some homemaking night putting together our calendar, come to find out, my Aunt Peggy had made it for my mom and her sisters one year for Christmas. My mom was such a slacker!
Anyways, Kort was determined to get us going and bought most of the stuff, all I had to do was the work of getting it all together. Last night I finally finished. I must admit it's a little ghetto, but it fits my skill level perfectly. I did do the sewing, notice the fine detail work (by fine detail work I mean semi-straight lines). I was too lazy to sew the numbers on so they are just glued on (they'll probably have to be sewn on eventually if I want this thing to last forever). And the manger scene people are stuck on with self adhesive Velcro (again, something that will have to be sewn later if I want it to last). But for now my calendar is done and in working mode for the holidays. My, I'm such a crafty person!
(By the way, just moments after the first picture was taken Owen managed to grab off one of the numbers, but I'm blaming that on not completely dried glue. Also, due to my severe lack of any sort of counting abilities I noticed last night as I was filling the pockets that I had an empty one, after all my counting and figuring I'm still one short...good thing I have left over ornaments!)

5 comments:

Kohl said...

Cute Calendar! I'm a slacker because Nate's mom made us one that consists of Mary and Joseph traveling to the stable. It is cute and is just great for our needs, so I guess I don't have to make one! :)

shellydinger said...

Jess I think it looks great! I really like the manger scene. Cute little baby :)

The Marshall Family said...

It is cute. I was just thinking a while ago that I wanted to make one!

Karalenn Hippen said...

How funny. I've had plans to make one for years. I've drawn out 2 or 3 different designs even, but have I even done anything past that? Nope. So thanks for the inspiration to get one done. I've got a few weeks to get it done right? Oh great. ANother project is all I need. :)

Val said...

That looks awesome! I wish I was motivated and crafty enough to do that!