Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In Need

John claims that I use the term "need" lightly, but in this case I feel that our family has reached the point where we NEED a new kitchen table. I am a firm believer in having dinner on a set table where the food is brought to the family, not the other way around. I grew up having to set the table properly for every meal (even if we were just setting paper plates, cups, and napkins for take out pizza). I guess it grew on me because I hate having to stand up if someone needs something during dinner. Maybe I'm weird, but I remember a woman making a comment once in RS about the dinner table being a place where the family should gather for quality time. It was important for her to take time to set the table and have things prepared as she gathered her family in the evening. I guess I just feel like it's hard to have an enjoyable dinner if everyone is hopping up every minute or two because something is needed. So even though I don't make us set the table for take out...I try to make dinner time as nice and organized as possible when it comes time to actually sit down and eat (even if my family isn't interested in being cooperative).

Lately our dinners have been crazy just because we don't have room for plates AND food. Our table comfortably sits 2 if you want to have your food on the table, we can squeeze 3 on there, but now that Owen requires a plate we are all out of room. Don't let the 4 chairs sitting around the table fool you, this table is not meant for 4 people!

I have been looking for a table for quite a while and have had no luck whatsoever. A lot of the problem is our dining room. It is very small, and to find a table that fits there nicely and will also hold a growing family has proven tricky. I have decided that the table has to be either 48" round with a pedestal leg and leaves, or it has to be one of the tables that is a 54" long rectangle and extends out to a square. I have been searching second hand shops, craigslist, and consignment shops hoping to find one I could refinish. Although I have had a couple of good leads nothing has panned out. Also, it's amazing what people think their second had tables are worth. When I started looking second hand I thought I was looking at good deals when a table was nice and $350-$400, then I happened into RC Willey one day and found a square table (that I wouldn't have to put time and money into to refinish) for less than $600. I'd rather spend the extra $150 and get a table that is new and doesn't require hours of sanding. So the hunt continues. Hopefully I'll find something before too long because I'm tired of my squishy table and I can't wait for something bigger!

7 comments:

Kohl said...

I hear ya loud and clear! When we went out looking for our new table the whole point was to be able to fit our plates and the food. It is not fun looking for just the right table, and one that won't cost all of your life savings. Anyways, good luck. I would keep checking R.C. Willey. That is where we ended up buying ours for a decent price!

Val said...

Just do what I did--convince your mom she needs a new kitchen table and then take her old one!

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh man. That's a good idea Val. hmmm. I like my parents table. Well don't spill the beans about stealing your idea if you run into them. :)

jessica said...

I'd love to take my mom's table, it just won't fit in my dining room.

The Marshall Family said...

What happened with the one on Craig's List that you were going to buy? I like to go to consignment shops looking for stuff, so give me a call and I will go with you. We can find something that will work!

Melanie said...

I vote for a round one (if you happen to find one you like, that is). We have a funny-shaped, square-ish eating area, so when we moved here we used our tax refund money and bought a 60-inch round table. I love love love it!

Melanie said...

I hate to be a comment-hog and comment twice in a row, but your post had me remembering our early-marriage days. Our table was so super tiny that you couldn't even fit two plates and food on it. Whenever we had people over (mostly the missionaries), we'd eat off of our coffee table in our living room, sitting on the floor. I don't think I've had many happier days than when we got a real table with real chairs. What could be better than that?