Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Bad

Today I caused Owen great pain. As if he wasn't already miserable enough due to the cold he has had all week I had to go and make it worse. I was getting ready for church and Owen decided to join me in the bathroom where he pulled my flat iron cord and then tried to pick up the flat iron and burned 2 of his fingers. He has big blisters (you can't really see them in the picture) and I could tell he was in pain for quite a while. Needless to say, I'm not at church. This all happened about 45 minutes before we needed to leave and Owen didn't stop crying until about 2 hours later.

It's funny the things you come up with to get a one year old happy. First we took him outside which made him forget about his fingers but then any time he touched anything he would start crying again. Then, for a short time carrying around a baggie filled with popcorn seemed to soothe the pain sporadically. After 2 hours of almost constant crying I put him in his high chair and gave him a sucker. Though the sucker wasn't enough to stop the crying, the whole bag of leftover Halloween candy was....so he got it. He sat and played/ate the candy for a long time and was finally calmed down enough to remain happy for more than 30 seconds. In fact he hasn't cried because of his fingers since the candy. Maybe sugar is the solution to all problems.

4 comments:

Val said...

Isn't it amazing what a little candy can do?

shellydinger said...

Poor Owen. I remember blistering Hailey's fingers on hot food once. Good thing kids are so forgiving / forgetful.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Too true. I know sugar cures a lot of my ills. :)

The Marshall Family said...

Burns hurt sooooo bad. Poor Owen.