Friday, August 24, 2007

The campout

John has been promising Ainsley a camp out in the back yard all summer. So he decided that tonight was the night. Probably because he realized that summer is coming to an end, and it's cooled off a bit which means he doesn't have to sit out in a tent in 100 degree weather.
Owen got in on the fun and played in the tent for a while after they set it up and before his bed time. He was so sad to have to come in and go to bed. He looked so sad as he cried while reaching longingly for the tent. I think tonight was the first time he has felt left out of something. Maybe next year Owen can cram into the tent with them. I'm thinking that would be a really fun night for dad!
Hopefully Ainlsey's camp out will be as memorable as my summer cam pout with my dad as a little girl about Ainsley's age. Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure that I remember the camp out or have just been told about how scared I was after it. My camp out involved my dad telling me that there was a bear in our backyard. He convinced me of this by shaking the tent while we were in it. As the story goes, from that point my dad told me that he would go out and fight the bear. At which point I became a bit upset and demanded that he stay in the tent. He then proceeded to go out of the tent and fight the "bear" while I sat in the tent crying. (mom and dad feel free to correct me if any part of that is wrong).
I'm sure the camp out tonight will be a little more low key seeing as how they took out the portable DVD player and watched "Lion King" while I made them popcorn and "Julius" to heighten the thrill of being outside. What a fun daddy/daughter activity! I'm just hoping they make it through the night and I don't have to wake up at 3:00 and put a cold 3 year old to bed.

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

Poor Owen. Did they make it until morning? Update please!

jessica said...

They had fun and made it until about 7:30 in the morning. Pretty good I'd say!

Karalenn Hippen said...

I'm so glad I read this. We camped out lots last summer in our backyard and have completely forgotten since moving. hmmm. Maybe this weekend. :)