Thursday, August 23, 2007

It's a Tough Job!

I was out shopping with 2 kids yesterday trying to get fall/school clothes and a baby gift for someone at John's work (he always gives me so much notice). What that really means is that I was wrestling with 2 kids occasionally glancing at what was on the shelves. After braving the mall (I didn't even brave it by myself, I had my mom and Merel with me) I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of the grocery shopping that I still needed to do that afternoon. This is why the call I got from John was particularly exciting. He called to tell me that he got to come home from work early because the power circuits had exploded and they weren't going to be fixed that day so they just sent everyone home. What a nice present for me! John also informed me that he got to go out for 2 lunches that day so I decided that I wouldn't feel to guilty about using him as a babysitter to make my afternoon a little easier.

As soon as John got home I left him with a sleeping baby and Ainsley so that I could do the grocery shopping child free! I love going in public with no children. It's so refreshing. After the groceries I came home and things seemed to be going fine so I went out shopping again in an attempt to fill the current clothing need in our home. I shopped for 2 hours by myself! It was lovely. I took my time. I went up several isles of clothing and sometimes even took time to go down an isle twice. I tried on all the clothes I had stuffed in my basket without having a certain 3 year old open the dressing room door while I was in between outfits. I didn't have to listen to a baby cry if I let his hand be void of a snack for more than 5 seconds. I loved every minute of it.

What was best about this shopping trip (other than the really cute shirt and skirt I found for myself) was my entrance into our home. I walked in to Ainsley crying, throw up on the floor, the kids half bathed (this means they were wet and in pajamas but their hair had not been touched), and random dinners were sitting out in the kitchen. At this point John handed me Owen, informed me of the throw up on the floor, and walked into our bedroom and closed the door.

Why does this make me happy? Well, I guess I have a twisted sense of humor. But I was happy to see John dealing with what I have to deal with on many days. John is good about giving me a break when he gets home and can see that it's been a rough day and I'm about to reach my breaking point, but still, it's just such a good reinforcer when he has to go through it himself. So yesterday John had an afternoon where he had being a mom thrown at him and it made my day. Perhaps because I had a nice relaxing afternoon?

7 comments:

shellydinger said...

That is the greatest story. What a good perspective you have.

Anonymous said...

But, if you really had the choice, wouldn't you choose to be the mom?
--Alene

Karalenn Hippen said...

You are so funny Jess. I wish I had your twisted sense of humor. I'd probably feel less guilt when Seth experiences "motherhood".:) By the way, did you notice your secret blog has been added to Centennial's site? I tattled on you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess. I am glad that you have the same twisted sense of humor as me. I always thought we had the same brain but I was always to shy to say so. I left Hayden with Mike last night so I could go to the Josh Turner concert at the fair and ride scary rides! It was great. I called around 10:00 and Hayden just had gone to bed and Mike was so frazzled- I loved every minute of him being frazzled! Maria

Anonymous said...

It sounds like John needs to go geocaching.

Lisa-Marie said...

Too funny Jessica!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I'm so jealous of the child free shopping and then to come home to chaos when you haven't been the one putting up with it - pure beauty! Every dad needs to experience that!
-Sheri N.