Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Harvest

A while ago I bought garden surplus at our ward service auction. This has proven to be the best service auction purchase ever! I am now finally sick of zucchini and decided to grate and bag my newest installments of zucchini so that I can freeze it to have zucchini bread year round. I am also planning on sneaking frozen zucchini into spaghetti sauce (Shhhhhh!).
I also received a gallon size bucket of tomatoes yesterday that were ripe and ready to be used. Being the amazing chef that I am I decided to make salsa....with no recipe....meaning I was going to come up with my own salsa recipe. So this morning we stopped by the store to buy the things that I felt I was going to need. You know, cilantro, lime, green onions, red onion, yep that's all that goes in salsa right? We also got bananas, we never go to the store with out buying bananas because then Owen would starve. I started making my salsa this afternoon and got to about this point in my creation.....
The kitchen was a mess and there were random ingredients everywhere due to the continual rechopping of whatever I decided I needed more of. I kept tasting the salsa thinking, "this just needs some kind of a kick." After a few moments I realized that the kick I was referring to was something called a jalapeno pepper. An ingredient that makes salsa salsa. Salsa by definition must have some sort of pepper in it and I had somehow forgotten this key ingredient. So the kids and I got back in the car and headed back to Fred Meyer (terribly over priced but also terribly close) to purchase my jalapeno. We did not purchase bananas this time and thus our grand total at Fred Meyer was $.3. That's 3 cents, not 3 dollars. So maybe Fred Meyer is not that overpriced on their jalapenos. We then came home and I finished the salsa. I must admit it's not the best salsa I've ever had but it's pretty darn good for a recipe from my head!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have used Paige's recipe in the family cookbook. It is amazing.
---Alene

Karalenn Hippen said...

Yah Jess.

Karalenn Hippen said...

I'm such a dork. I don't know what that came out first. I must think I'm pretty funny at 2 in the morning when I've been up through the night with a sicky throw-up kid. She just feel asleep and the world is good. Wish I had some of your salsa right now.