Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm not a runner

I've decided that I really hate running. Or maybe I just think that because I'm in really bad shape right now and I haven't been in shape since I found out I was pregnant with Owen. So it's been a while. There was a time when I enjoyed going out on a 3-5 mile run. I felt great when I was done. Now when I run 1-2 miles I feel like I'm going to die. It's not so much my body that can't keep up (although my body really hurts) it's my lungs. I just can't seem to fit enough air in them.

I tried to start working out again a few weeks ago and I've been running probably about 6 times. You can tell I've been really motivated. Yesterday I got a call from a friend in my ward who has been looking for someone to run with. I knew she had been wanting me to run with her for a while now just because she was desperate for someone who wanted to run in the morning, not because she thought I would be a good running partner. She has been running for a while now and is actually in shape. This morning was our first run together. I did my best to keep up and felt I held my own, however, when I was done running I think she could have gone another 15 minutes. She was nice and didn't say anything but I wonder if she'll still think that running with me is better than not running at all. I could give up and just get really fat, but then I would have to buy all new clothes (or just wear my maternity clothes). So I'll continue to run, even though I don't necessarily like it. I'll run until I can afford my gym membership.

3 comments:

SD and EJ said...

I like running SO much better after I got my treadmill because I can watch TV at the same time. Somehow that makes it a lot more bearable.

Anonymous said...

You're good to run at all. I bought an exercise bike because I hate running. I bought it last September because you know how well I ride a real bike... Anyhow, I thought that having a convenient exercise plan would make me do it more. I did pretty good for the first few weeks, but then my cruise came, and then Thanksgiving, and then Christmas, and then tax season, and then Hawaii, and.... let's just say I have ridden it about 6 times during 2007 (I'm not kidding -- I keep a log!)...

Kohl said...

I remember in college when we all were "training" for the 1/2 marathon in Moab. I thought you were a pretty good runner since I could barely run a mile without dying and you just kept going and going. Good job running. I will stick to my eplitical. (Which I haven't worked out on since June) I am not motivated. :)