Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'm Totally Freaking Out Here

How pathetic is it that I fret and worry over any purchase over $15. I just spent a decent chunk of money on the above sofa and love seat and now I know that I will be thinking about my decision for weeks to come. We have been looking for new couches for quite a while now. Our living room furniture is mismatched and ranges from 5-7 years old. All of it was bought scratch and dent and is really starting to wear out. The tubing in our couch continues to fall out and we just keep cutting it off. There are also a few holes in the couch. Our chair has a broken arm and holes in the fabric too. When we began our search we decided that we wanted microfiber or leather. But the more we looked the more we liked the leather. You just can't beat the durability...they can last 40-50 years. We just couldn't find a set that we liked that we could afford...until yesterday.

On a whim, and partly out of boredom, we decided to go take a look at a few furniture stores nearby and after looking at A LOT of sets we found this leather set on sale for only slightly more than all of the microfiber sets we have seen. So we looked/sat in it for a while last night. We came home and put the kids to bed and then John headed back with the tape measure and a few more questions. I felt a little rushed because the sell price ended today. I hate feeling that way, like you have to make a decision fast to get a good deal. But, I guess it often seems that you have to be prepared to act on a good deal when it comes along. So as of John's second visit to see the couches he was sold and decided he wanted them, but I still wasn't sold because I'm the most indecisive person I know.

I headed back today with my mother because I'm weak and need a second opinion and constant reassurances. I sat in the couch for a long time, thought through all of the couches we have looked at. Thought about what would be a good purchase in the long run. Asked the sales people a ton of questions. Asked my mom a ton of questions. Then I decided to take them! You have no idea what an accomplishment this is for me. Usually other people have to make decisions for me. John was even proud of me for going ahead and buying them with only the support of my mother (it usually takes more than that). After buying the set I even made my mom go back and sit on the couches with me and remind me that I had made a good purchase. So now I sit here hoping that I made the right choice. I guess I have 2 weeks of having the couches in my home to make sure I like them before the sale is final. But, I've already listed my current furniture on craigslist so if I do take them back and my furniture has sold we'll be furniture-less.

6 comments:

Kohl said...

Congrats on the new couches. If I had a choice between leather and microfiber I would go with the leather. We bought microfiber two years ago and it shows way too much stuff. It is easy to clean, but never looks totally clean. Leather is the way to go, especially with kids!

The Marshall Family said...

I think they are beautiful...good choice!

Anonymous said...

Good work! I totally second guess myself on purchases too -- that's why it takes Russ and me so long to make decisions. And I'm proud you listed your other stuff on craigslist so quickly -- I would probably intend to do it but not actually ever get around to it. You're my hero!

shellydinger said...

This isn't the same set that you were telling me about earlier is it? At least you got to sit in these and really test them out. They look beautiful (and think about how they'll change the look of your living room). Exciting!

Lisa-Marie said...

Yeah for you!!! They are beautiful.

I'm with ya on the whole, "I can't make a decision and make a purchase" deal. I panic buying a pair of new jeans. Pathetic!

Val said...

I like those a lot. I always feel better about making a purchase when I just think about all the money I made on Craigslist selling the stuff I don't want anymore.