Monday, September 17, 2007

Event of the day....

....Owen fell out of his crib. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure he climbed out and just had a rough landing. For some reason he decided that today he no longer needed sleep. He usually takes 2 naps of at least 1 1/2 hours a day. Earlier when I did get him to sleep he slept for all of 45 minutes. Not so great for a one year old. Especially since he has been crying most of the day, cried when he woke up, (usually I get a happy dance and smile upon awaking...still trying to get a good picture/video of that), and continued to cry for the following 2 hours. I decided it was nap time again. Owen didn't agree. I put him in his crib determined not to get him until he had taken a decent nap. Well, Owen won that battle. I heard the dreaded thud on the ground. The thud that any parent dreads hearing because you know that what made that noise was your child's body, and you are hoping it wasn't their head. So Owen is still alive. Unfortunately, his crib is already on the lowest setting. But, he is asleep now. After a large dose of crying, being held, and rocking.

I guess I should also mention the other noteworthy item of the day. We are celebrating my dad's birthday tonight. He doesn't officially turn a year older until Wednesday but today was the better night for celebrating. So Kort and I (mostly Kort) made him a football field cake for the big occasion. Pretty impressive eh?

4 comments:

Karalenn Hippen said...

Happy bday to your dad! And on a sadder note sorry to hear Owen can escape in a not so clever way now.

The Marshall Family said...

I have been waiting for Hyaden to fall out of his crib. He is acting like Hayden is right now...is he getting teeth? Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Like Father, like Son. When John was about Owen's age, he decided he didn't want to be in a crib any more. I kept finding him in bed with Mel (with whom he shared a room at the time.) One night I left the door open enough to peek in. He would get at one end of the crib, run as fast as he could to the other end, and throw himself over the rail in a sommersault. It's amazing he didn't kill himself.
---Alene

Krisser said...

Tell your dad Happy Birthday from an obnoxious old friend, and how fun for you and Kort to be close enough to work on a cake together- make sure to take a picture and show off that talent!