Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Salsa and the rug doctor...


So, maybe you are thinking that the reason we currently have this Rug Doctor unit in our home has some tie to the fact that I have spent the past 2 days canning salsa. You would be wrong. On Saturday I spent the day getting myself prepared to complete my final batch of salsa. I bought my tomatoes and other ingredients and borrowed my mom's canning supplies so I was ready to go. On Monday morning when I woke up I realized that it would not be physically possible for me to make salsa that day due to the severe cramping in my stomach that was making it impossible for me to stand in an upright position for more that 1-2 minutes at a time. With 50 tomatoes in my garage that were about to go mushy I called my mom and she saved the day. She came over and chopped everything for me, prepared my tomatoes, and got my salsa cooking. It took a good chunk of her day and I was so grateful she was able and willing to drop everything to come and help me out.

By last night I was feeling weak but a bit better. This was a very good thing because Ainsley woke up at 10:00 and threw up. It was a disaster area in her room. Her mattress, hair, pillow, comforter, wall, toys, toy baskets, shelves, box spring, bed frame, and carpet were all covered. It was very pleasant. "Mom mode" kicked in and I no longer had time to lounge about trying to recover from my own illness. John and I both started cleaning Ains and her room. The mess was so bad that I made John call Walmart last night to make sure we could rent a carpet cleaner that late. We had until 11:00 to pick it up, so John was out the door while I continued cleaning, sanitizing, and throwing all manner of things in the washer.

At about midnight last night John and I were cleaning a bed and carpet with our beloved Rug Doctor. What a perfect time for cleaning carpets! At least Owen wasn't awake! Ainsley proceeded to throw up about every hour all night long. John blames it on the strong salsa smell that permeated our home due to the salsa that had been on the stove for hours.

So this morning after a great deal of cleaning, laundry, and another visit from my mother to drop off pedialite and sprite, I was finally able to get my salsa bottled and sealed (hopefully sealed). It sure is nice how things always happen in three's.

FYI: I would not recommend this strategy for canning again. Wait until the morning you are ready to can, make sure everyone is healthy, and then go get your supplies!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad you live close to your mom?!?!

Melanie said...

I second Liz's comment. I wish my mom was around to bring us Pedialyte when we need it!

I love homemade salsa... yum!

The Marshall Family said...

I am so sorry! That sounds awful!

shellydinger said...

Thank goodness for "Mom mode". Your salsa looks delicious!

Lisa-Marie said...

Hang in there. This too shall pass. Right?!?!?!?

By the way, the salsa looks delicious! I think I just might have nachos for dinner tonight.