Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Secret Fear

I have wanted to find a great book to read for quite some time now. John has offered me a few of his books...no thanks! He also volunteered to get me one from the library. I think it was then that I realized that for some reason I have a deep rooted fear of the public library. I hide it well, but when it comes right down to it, for some reason I'm a little afraid of checking out books. I have only one distinct memory of visiting the public library when I was in elementary school. I always used the school library (the Burley public library was probably comparable to the elementary school library anyway). I remember being with my mom and sister. My mom wanted me to check out "Where the Red Fern Grows." I had no interest in reading a book about different types of ferns and where they can be found in the world, so despite her trying to convince me that it was a really good book, I declined.

I used the BYU library for school purposes only. I wonder what would have happened if I had to actually get a card and wasn't just able to use my ID card. I never liked being in the library, I rarely even studied in there . I think John made me get a library card when we lived in Provo, but I don't think I ever used it. I remember using his library card to get a couple of books when we lived in Salt Lake. But I have issues with checking out books. I have never been a great reader. Don't get me wrong, I love a good book, but I have to get hooked in the first few chapters or I usually toss the book aside and never finish. If I own or borrow the book I can read it at my leisure. That suits me. I know that you can renew books, but something about the whole process just stresses me out.

I don't have a problem taking the kids to the library for story time, music classes, etc., but it is John that takes Ains to check out books. I often have to return books and DVD's , but I have yet to check one out since living here. I now rely on others to get me to the library. When we first moved to our apartment here there was a girl in our ward that introduced me to a movement and music class at a local library. Ains loved the class. We would go and participate and have fun, but never stay to check out books. Our library now requires that you call and sign up for any class you want to bring your child to. Luckily for me, I have a friend that keeps me very well informed so Ains doesn't miss out.

So there you have it. I'm lucky that I married a person that uses the library more than any other human on the planet, and that I have friends that love to use the library and let me tag along with them. One of these days, maybe I'll get over my weird complex, get my own library card, and start checking out books to read. Until then, do you have a good book I could borrow (that isn't about baseball or church history)?

5 comments:

Val said...

I can't believe we haven't seen you guys at the Music and Movement classes! I'm at the library all the time because of the free entertainment. Besides, I noticed on our tax statement how much we pay for the library so I figure I'd better get my money's worth out of it!

Anonymous said...

Just don't pass on your phobia to your kids!!
--Alene

Kohl said...

I have tons of books you could borrow if only you lived closer! I have yet to get to our library and it is only a couple blocks away! It just seems like alot of work to go and check out some books when we already have tons at home.

Heather I. said...

My friends out here and I are into the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer. Try it! She's LDS and the books are about a girl in love with a vampire. They are so good and being made into a movie. I think you would like them:) Funny you wrote about this because I'm thinking about posting about how I'm excited about our new library across the street....

SD and EJ said...

That is hilarious! I don't know if I've ever met anyone that's afraid of the library before.