Friday, February 1, 2008

To Glaze or not to Glaze???

So lately I have been thinking about putting a glaze on my cabinets (kind of like in the picture but maybe a little darker) just to update their look a little. It seems like a really inexpensive and easy thing to do to update the look of my house (is it wierd that I already think of updating our housefor selling purposes and we're no where close to moving?). I have never actually seen it done and so I'm just basing my opinion on what little reading I've done. I've heard of people doing it themselves, I just can't figure out if it is really as easy as they say, or if I shouldn't bother at all. I just want the kind of glaze that is noticeable in the crevices of my cupboards, I don't want to change the whole color of my cabinets. So....anyone out there have any experience with this that could enlighten me a little??? Seriously, I need some imput!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I have no experience or expertise, but I DO love the look of glazed cabinets! I say do it!

Kohl said...

Could you post a picture of your cabinets? We thought about trying to improve our cabinets in our old house, but they were really cheap and would have needed some sanding and stuff before refinishing them. Do you have to sand before you glaze?

The Marshall Family said...

How do you apply the glaze? Is it just like a thin layer of paint? I say do it!

Val said...

That is way cool. Let us all know how it turns out! I'm always thinking of ways to make our house better, so no, you're not weird!

Anonymous said...

I'v done it. It's pretty easy, but i'm not sure how it would work on your cabinets, because they have a finish on them. When I did it, it was on paint with no finish. You would probably have to talk to someone at Home Depot or someplace like that and get something that would stick to the finish of the cupboards. Other than that it's really easy. You just paint it on and depending on how much color you want you let it dry for a few minutes (for quite a bit of color in the crevices) or you don't let it dry at all (for just a little color in the crevices). Of course that was quite some time ago and products might be entirely different now.

Natalie Ball said...

When you figure out how to do it, come show me how so I can sell my house next month!

Anonymous said...

How funny, I've been thinking about doing the same thing. If you do it let me know how it turns out!
-Sheri N.