Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Incapable Seamstress



Yesterday I tried my hand at sewing...again. Usually the projects I undertake are extremely simple and don't involve a pattern because I can't read one. John has been wanting a new curtain by our front door for a while now. The one that was here when we moved in was covered in paint,(big blobs- not little specks) dingy, and crooked. How they got paint all over the curtain I will never know. I also wanted to make Ainsley some pajama bottoms. I guess it might be more accurate to say that I'm so cheap I decided that was the most economical choice for her sleep wear. I just refuse to pay $10 for a pair of pj's, no matter how cute they are!

I made my mom set aside time to help me seeing as how she has a bit more knowledge when it comes to sewing, and I had to borrow her machine. I started sewing at about noon and finished up with the projects at about 6:30. Not bad you might be thinking in your head, but remember there were 2 of us working for a large portion of the time. The curtains went fine with no pattern, although I measured something wrong because they are a little shorter than I wanted. Oh well, no one will ever notice...I hope. My mom ended up having to make a pattern for the shorts because everyone that we thought had one either didn't or refused to answer their phone. She just copied the shorts that Ains was wearing and then made a few minor adjustments. I have to say the pattern worked great. Or would have worked great for anyone with any minuscule amount of sewing ability. My mom pretty much made the first pair of shorts. I just hemmed and did other minor things. Then she left me to do the second pair while she went out to mow the lawn and such. That was a mistake.

I began sewing and before long I had sewn the two back leg pieces completely together. That's what I get for sewing and talking at the same time. Then I sewed the pieces into something that looked like either and upside down shirt with the arm holes sewn shut, or a skirt with weird little poofy things protruding from the hips. After a significant amount of picking out stitches and resewing, and after I was given a little more direction, I finally arrived at the shorts pictured above. Not the best looking, but perfectly suitable for Ainsley to sleep in. Plus the whole project only cost me $3. Quite the bargain! Now I just have to find some tops, I refuse to sew the tops!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Your mom sews and mows the lawn? Amazing!

I think the shorts turned out cute! I'd reccommend Hanes t-shirts or tank tops for your tops. They're cheap and great with PJs.

shellydinger said...

They look great! Sewing pants scare me to death. The curtain looks really nice - it doesn't look too short at all.

shellydinger said...

Quick question: what material did you use for the curtain? and did it fray at all when you started sewing? I need curtains!

Karalenn Hippen said...

Hooray. Good job Jess. I'm so proud of your little curtain and shorts. :)

jessica said...

I have no idea what the fabric was, it was sheer and in the home decorating/curtain section. The material separated a little where I sewed it but I'm sure it will hold together. I wouldn't use that fabric on a curtain that would be moved a lot.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! You are amazing!

Arin Rohrbach said...

I wish I could sew anything! My husband sadly enough knows how to sew better than me, so anytime something needs fixed he has to do it. I can however sew a button back on, but that's it.