Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Looks can be deceiving...

This afternoon I decided that since I haven't been very good about making dinner lately I would go above and beyond today. I think I have made dinner approximately twice in over a week. I've been wanting to make Navajo tacos for some time now and decided that now was as good a time as any to go ahead and make it. I looked online to find a fry bread recipe and then concocted a recipe of my own for the meat mixture. I made my dough and began frying the bread. I then started adding all sorts of good things to my hamburger. I added onions, green peppers, corn, black beans...and so on. It tasted great. I had some lettuce given to us from someones garden that I chopped. I grated the cheese, chopped tomatoes and I have to admit that by this point I was pretty impressed with myself.

Then I decided to taste the bread and see how good it was turning out as well. Not so good. I should have noticed something was amiss when the small recipe called for 2 tablespoons of salt. I should have thought to myself, "Hey Jess, that seems like a lot of salt. I wonder if they meant 2 teaspoons." Unfortunately, I didn't think this until I tasted the salty bread. My dreams of a magnificent dinner were dashed. Luckily I married a person that has very few taste buds and prefers an insane amount of salt on all food. John didn't notice that our dinner was very salty. He ate the bread plain. I have to admit that it tasted alright if I had enough "stuff" along with every bite of bread. They sure did look delicious though, didn't they!

2 comments:

Kohl said...

The picture sure looks yummy. I think part of cooking is making mistakes because I do it all the time!

Melanie said...

Looks super yummy! Can we add it to the family cookbook? :)