Wednesday, May 16, 2007

More Sleep Issues

For some reason my children have a very difficult time sleeping until they reach at least 1 year. Owen is now falling into a very bad sleep pattern. Crawling and warmer temperatures have really messed him up. Those of you that have seen us put Owen to bed know that he likes to be wrapped very tightly, even though most kids decide swaddling isn't for them around 3 months. My theory is that he is such a squirmy kid that he needs something to hold him down long enough to relax and go to sleep. Now that it is warmer (downright hot during the afternoon and night time) I feel like we can't wrap him up anymore unless we want him to die of heat exhaustion. Plus, he's just stronger now and can wiggle out of his blanket anyways and crawls around his crib. Lately when I put him down for a nap he's content to crawl around for a while but then it's almost like he can't figure out how to lay down and get comfortable. Once he's finally given up crying and crashed from exhaustion, I find him asleep in sitting position with his head between his legs. It's a vicious cycle. The boy just refuses to sleep. I guess on a positive note though, now that he is older and eating more food he has started to sleep until 5:30 in the morning. It seems that we're trading nighttime sleep for daytime sleep.

2 comments:

shellydinger said...

I want to see the picture of him asleep with his head between his legs! That sounds awesome.

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry! There is nothing worse than when your kid has sleep issues. It seems like it's worse with an older sibling too, because that youngest one rarely gets the chance to just sleep. Jack takes 3 naps a day, and I would say I have to wake him up from at least 2 of those because we have somewhere we have to go. Poor Jack!

And poor Owen! Hopefully he'll get over his sleep issue soon. :)