Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Million Dollar Idea



On Friday night our family was very bored and couldn't think of anything fun to do that was practically free. Then I had a great idea. We would take a trip to the dollar store and all got to choose one item. So we headed off to the dollar store and started our shopping. Ainsley ended up with a cup shaped like an ice cream cone. We had to talk her out of a plastic decorative pumpkin. John got a piece of poster board to back one of his diplomas in a frame. John actually only spent 38 cents. And I found a lovely bead kit to make a necklace/bracelet, this was actually more for Ainsley than it was for me, although I think it turned out kind of cute.

The bead kid was for one of those necklaces that has magnets on it every so often so there aren't any clasps and you can wrap it to make different sizes and what not. The true fun of the night began when we were making the necklace. We were in the middle of stringing the beads when John and I got a little distracted talking to Kort who had dropped by to pick something up. I handed Ains a clear bead and told her to string it on as we sat talking. All of the sudden Ains said,"It's in my nose, it's stuck." She was quite panicked and as I looked into her nose I got panicked too because it was really in there, well beyond reach. We were trying to get her to try to blow it out and she was upset and saying she couldn't. We kept telling her that if she couldn't blow it out we would have to take her to the hospital to get it out. With in a couple of minutes I finally got her to blow hard enough that a little clear bead shot out of her nose and onto the floor. We were all very relieved, and we have since had several talks/reminders that we don't stick things in our nose...or our ears.

3 comments:

Kohl said...

I laughed so hard when I read this post. My older sister used to stick things in her nose all the time when she was little. She stuck a bean up one time and had to go to the doctor to get it out! Glad you were able to get the bead out without paying for medical help.

Anonymous said...

Like father, like daughter. John did the same thing once and we had to get the doctor to get it out.
Then there was James' adventure. He had a straight pin in his mouth and decided to blow it at Steph like a dart. He took a big breath so he could blow it really far. Of course, it went right down his throat. We took him to the emergency room where they did an X-ray (to make sure it hadn't gone into his lungs), and sure enough, there it was in his stomach. So we had to watch him and every time he had a bowel movement, we had to hunt for the pin because if it got turned around and stuck into the stomach or intestine, they would have to operate to get it out. Finally we just couldn't stand searching any more, so after about a week we took him back and got another X-ray and it was gone. The joys of children!!
--Alene

Karalenn Hippen said...

I'm with Ains- sticking things up your nose can be lots of fun. I remember when my brother Joe tricked me into sticking a peanut up my nose when I was little too. Good times.