Friday, June 1, 2007

Learning



Ainsley learns things very quickly...when she is interested in learning something. I have tried to sit down with her in the past and teach her different letters, or show her how to draw certain things. When it is done on my time table she just acts silly, scribbles, and refuses to cooperate. On the other hand, when learning is her idea she sits nicely and tries new things with great effort.

Yesterday I got one of those rare teaching moments with her. She was coloring and figured out how to trace her hand. This sparked more questions. So I sat down with her and within 10 minutes she had written the letters A, B, C, I, T, Y, and D. These were all letters she requested, I had no say in which ones we were going to write. Granted she has known how to write an "A" for a while now, and she has attempted a "T" before, but I was quite impressed.

She then drew her first stick figure. She wanted me to draw Jesus. Notice the resemblance of the above "adult drawn"stick figure to Jesus. Then she proceded to draw 2 stick figures. The black one is holding a red one...if you couldn't tell. I have a feeling that Ainsley's current learning style resembles that of her father. That style being "very bright if interested". Hopefully this way of thinking fades as she gets older.

2 comments:

Heather I. said...

Hey, I just got your comment! I think you emailed me about your blog when you first started it, and I just put it on my favorites and check, it's so fun to read! I always mean to comment, I just get lazy. So now, I definitely will!

Melanie said...

Ainsley's drawing is awesome! I remember Quinn's first "people" drawing... it was on the chalkboard at church, so unfortunately all I have to remember it by is a lame picture I took with my cell phone.

I love the description of John -- "very bright if interested." So true!