Thursday, June 21, 2007

Spiders Beware!!!

I just killed a spider and felt it pop. I hate that! I hate spiders. They scare the begebbees out of me. The bad thing is that John hates them about as much as I do. We haven't found very many in the house (yet) but it seems that our yard and garage are crawling with them. And they are big spiders, not little ones. A couple of days ago I saw a BIG spider crawling up the side of the house carrying an egg sack. I didn't have anything to smash it with so I ran to grab something and when I came back of course it was gone. I immediately went and grabbed the bug killer we already had and sprayed it around the entire outside of the house, even though it was an ant killer. I figure if it will kill ants, its got to kill spiders too. I was happy to see dead bugs on the patio later that day. Needless to say I have been a little creeped out ever since this little spider incident. Later that day a guy came to the door and was willing to solve my bug issues for a mere $100 for a one time treatment or for only $70 a quarter for a yearly treatment (it is hatching season after all). Since I am not made of money I have to take care of the problem myself. This Saturday's task (along with the regular yard work) is to kill bugs. Our fence, garage, and the perimeter of our house all need sprayed and de-cob-webbed. I bought a true bug killer, and while I was at it I also bought a spray to kill any bugs that might want to attack my plants. A fun task. Hopefully we will kill all the bugs....Do I sound morbid?

3 comments:

Melanie said...

What a crazy coincidence that you saw the nasty egg-sac-carrying spider the same day the pest control guy came by... Maybe he planted it there just to freak you out and make you sign up for his service.

Good luck with all your killing plans. I can't think of anything I hate more than spiders.

Anonymous said...

Last summer I had a HUGE spider land on my arm in the shower (luckily I wasn't wearing my contacts). My shriek was so loud that it woke Russ up and he thought I had lost a limb (luckily I hadn't). I never did look at it with my glasses on, but Russ said it was a couple of inches wide (including leg span). I think Russ was a little afraid of it too. Yeah, I hate spiders. I have killed a few of them, usually by sucking them up with the vacuum and then leaving it running for at least 10 minutes. But if Russ is home, I yell "spider alert" and he comes to my rescue (we have a deal -- he does the spiders, I do the diapers (so far, I have the better part of the deal...)).

Kohl said...

I hate spiders. I have decided not to deal with them outside of my house unless they are really big because they do eat all the little flies we have our here by the lake, but if they are in my house they are as good as dead. If they are large in my house then I get a shoe and smoosh it and let Nate clean it up when he gets home. :) We had someone spray last year and I don't think it really did much. Have fun with your bug killing.